Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NEW RADIATOR!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 09:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6 4.0 HO
Default NEW RADIATOR!

Ok, so I finally got my new all-metal two row radiator from radiatorbarn and wanna slap that sucker into my XJ and pray to the Jeep gods that it will fix my warm running problem. Here's my questions..

First off, Im doing a whole front end cooling replacement, meaning I am replacing the rad, t-stat, t-stat housing, upper and lower rad houses and the temp gauge that mounts in the t-stat housing. I think the t-stat housing and all its goodies are pretty easy instal as well as the hoses, but what about the radiator? Can I swap the rads at home with basic tools?

Second, I am going to do a coolant flush. Should I just do the flush on the old radiator to keep crap out of the new one?

Thanks a bunch everyone.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: Rebuilt 4.0L

I'm actually about to do the radiator in my xj too. I pulled one from a junkyard xj, and it's way easy. It was like 4 bolts and it lifted right out. It's just the 4 on the piece of metal that has the hood latch attached. At least, on the junkyard xj. I'll be tackling mine tomorrow too, I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 06-08-2010, 01:50 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

it is super easy, i replaced mine in my driveway within an hour
Old 06-08-2010, 02:02 AM
Seasoned Member

I'd flush the system with water in the old rad, and then install the new one. Yes its fairly simple just be careful when you're placing the new one in.

Might as well be careful removing the old one since it has some resell value on the street/classifieds.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:30 AM
CF Veteran

thanks! Also, I noticed that when looking at my rad the other day, there seems to be two of them.. on in the front right behind the grill with tubes running through it, then a gap, then another one right in front of the fans. I have a/c, so I know one is a condensor. Which one though? Lastly, did out XJ rads have tranny coolers? The radiatorbarn details list stated it included the tranny fluid cooler..
Old 06-08-2010, 08:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

Originally Posted by 1991Jeep_Man
thanks! Also, I noticed that when looking at my rad the other day, there seems to be two of them.. on in the front right behind the grill with tubes running through it, then a gap, then another one right in front of the fans. I have a/c, so I know one is a condensor. Which one though? Lastly, did out XJ rads have tranny coolers? The radiatorbarn details list stated it included the tranny fluid cooler..
the condenser is the front one, if you have an auto tranny, the cooler is the 2 hard lines on the drivers side of the radiator, if you do any towing or steep hill climbing, I recommend installing an aux cooler, you buy them at advance or summit take the return line (bottom line) and run it to the aux cooler then back to the tranny just a suggestion whille your at it. also look here a good site for ideas http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...sionCooler.htm
Old 06-08-2010, 09:22 AM

If your going to do all that id put a new water pump on too... its only about 40 minutes more to do and ya got almost everything pulled that needs to be to do one.

Tranny cooler..... the radiators have one built in.
The factory tranny coolers which are pretty easy to find at JY go in front of condensor and factory line you have now connects to it and other runs back to radiator cooler so you have/use 2 coolers.

They are very easy to install......remove grill, 2 bolts on cooler, 2 lines to hook up.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:29 PM
CF Veteran

Hmm, well I already have a new water pump.. not the koolflow or whatever it's called, just a Napa one. I just bought a new t-stat and t-stat housing today and will install them with the rad. Also, this aux tranny line thing.. I am liking this. I imagine a cooler tranny shifts easier and lasts longer.. Is there a right up anywhere on the forum for this? Thanks for all the help
Old 06-08-2010, 09:58 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2002
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I just pulled my radiator to replace my condenser. It wasn't that bad of a job. I followed a Haynes Repair manual that you can pick up at an auto parts store for about 25$, they are great to have around. You have to drain the radiator, take out the coolant reservoir, the guard over the radiator where the hood latch is, loosen the shroud for the mechanical fan, remove the electric fan, remove the radiator hoses and tranny cooling lines. And I think that's it. It wasn't that difficult, but like I said you might want to pick up a Haynes or Chilton manual to reference. FYI: It was easier for me to disconnect the tranny cooling lines on the under side, rather than trying to disconnect them at the radiator, but if you're replacing the radiator then that may or may not work for you.