Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new rad install

Old 03-17-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default new rad install

Well I got my radiator from radiatorbarn and got it installed. All went fairly smooth except for when i had the rad out and was trying to flush the block and then the brain fart came....couldn't get the water to come out cus the therm was closed so(not thinking in the process) started the xj up thought all was good til i realized that there was some fluid rapidly coming out of the lower drivers side front...trans lines...oh ...quickly shut it off, then was just standing around looking at my mess up, the fluid did not look good at all, it was nearly black, worst i have ever seen trans fluid, ive seen it looked red with a dark brown tint but never this bad...so now i was gonna do a trans filter and refill but now that i have seen it i started thinking about getting a full flush done, not sure if it has ever been done on the xj and it has 225k miles, ive heard of trans flushes actually going bad if it has never been done before and there is alot of buildup in the trans, so basically i want to know if it would be a good idea and if it is not, how much would another trans be for a 2001 xj?
Old 03-17-2011, 08:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L HO

I'd suggest doing a pan drop, change the filter and re-fill. Pull the dipstick one in a while and check fluid level/color.

Remove the heater hose from the t-stat housing and remove the bottom rad hose from the water pump. Squirt a garden hose in the heater hose nipple on the t-stat housing. This will flush the cyl. head and the block out the water pump.....no heed to remove t-stat.
Old 03-17-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

Was the transmission working ok before the new radiator?

If yes I would suggest drain and fill 3 times (some driving between each). This will replace most of your ATF and is less prone to cause the infamous problems a flush can sometimes cause in older transmissions.
Old 03-17-2011, 09:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by djb383
I'd suggest doing a pan drop, change the filter and re-fill. Pull the dipstick one in a while and check fluid level/color.

Remove the heater hose from the t-stat housing and remove the bottom rad hose from the water pump. Squirt a garden hose in the heater hose nipple on the t-stat housing. This will flush the cyl. head and the block out the water pump.....no heed to remove t-stat.
wish i would of known that before i did this lol, oh well to late now, thanks for the info though, will come in handy in the future

Originally Posted by DaddyCat
Was the transmission working ok before the new radiator?

If yes I would suggest drain and fill 3 times (some driving between each). This will replace most of your ATF and is less prone to cause the infamous problems a flush can sometimes cause in older transmissions.
yes it was working just fine before, bad thing about it, i was 15 miles from town and didnt have any extra trans oil, friends didnt either, i DID NOT like driving on 2-3qts low, i could tell the xj didnt either, it was slipping but i took it easy, didnt even do the speed limit and took off slower than an old grandma at the stop sign, put some in it and back to normal shifts. i was thinking about the drain and refill drive for a couple hundred miles and then drain and refill again, just wanted some opinions
Old 03-18-2011, 07:20 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

that djb383 is a pretty smart guy, his idea would be more a through cleaning but mine would be easier.

If you do drop the pan someone (djb383) posted some nice pics on this thread that should help:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/tra...-change-79755/