Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New and Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default New and Need Some Help

My name is Bobby, im from Rochester, NH and bought a 1997 Cherokee last July. Straight from buying it, it came with a lift and 32x12's. There was a lot of rubbing (since i had to get fender flares to compensate for tires hanging out too far) so i ended up moving down to 31x10.5 but there is still the occasional rubbing if wheel is turned right way. It also has Pro Comp ES3000 shocks.
Now i am trying to do a little bit of work to it including:

Replacing shocks
Trimming fender flares
rear brakes

It also has some minor problems such as:
When i hit left blinker it doesnt work, or it makes a buzzing sound, if i hold the lever down, it blinks correctly.
Passenger door(front) outside button gets stuck, door wont shut, works fine from inside.
Recently did front brakes(pads and rotors) now it squeaks when driving, going faster as i go faster, the brakes were not supposed to squeak.

What i need help with most at the moment is:
determining my exact lift
Getting the right shocks
fixing my front/rear brakes
trimming the fender flares

I dont have a camera at this time so i have no pics, hopefully soon though, and any help would be greatly appreciated.

I just went outside and took some measurements, it seems like i have a 4 1/2" lift in the front and a 3" in the back, but it doesnt make sense to be that different. From the center of wheel to bottom of flare is 23" in front and 20" in back, also with 31" tires there is 10" between top of tire and bottom of flare in front and 5" in back. If anyone has same tires and a lift between 3" and 4 1/2" with flares and can let me know their measurements i would greatly appreciate it.

Last edited by Hushkababa; 06-11-2009 at 02:38 PM. Reason: More information
Old 06-11-2009, 02:48 PM

not sure if bumping is frowned upon but here it goes BUMP!!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:14 PM
jag

Year: 96
Engine: 6cyl

Your blinker problem is probably a flasher realy

Yor door might work better with a little wd-40 unless the mechanisim is broke on the outside handle. Did you use any silicone based anti squeek on the back of your Pads, what kind of pads did you use. Also do the breaks work good>
Old 06-11-2009, 04:50 PM

The brake pads were ceramic but i dont know the brand, the guy at the store said i didnt need the anti-squeal when i asked him about it. the brakes work better than before, the front ones were metal on metal and i think the back ones are now too. they also lock up in the rain a little bit, nothing major though.
Old 06-11-2009, 05:12 PM
jag

Year: 96
Engine: 6cyl

Did they come with shims
Old 06-11-2009, 05:26 PM

When I installed it i kept the old caliper and all that, all i replaced was the pads and the rotors. Not sure what shims are, but i didnt see anything but those parts.

Last edited by Hushkababa; 06-11-2009 at 05:27 PM. Reason: more info