Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new kid needs help

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2008, 10:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default new kid needs help

ive got a 92 xj wit 230000 miles on her. im gonna do a three inch homemade lift (cause i got no money). i have a set of 31x10.50s that i trimmed the fenders to fit cause my tires were to bald. i think im gonna pt s-10 springs in the @$$ and proly grand cherokee springs and spacers in the front i kno i can use yj brakelines in the rear and the front should be ok stock. other than shocks is there anything im missing or anything i could do better?
-thanks
Old 11-22-2008, 10:37 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

Thats alot of miles, how does it run??

Are you planning on doing any wheeling and how much of a lift are you trying to achieve??
Old 11-22-2008, 10:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000

besides shocks and brakelines...at 3" thats really the only stuff you need...
Old 11-22-2008, 10:41 PM
Seasoned Member

runs great actually i did a tune up on it when i got it like 6 months ago and its run great since. i mud more than anything and not all that often and im hopein to go up three inches
Old 11-22-2008, 10:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by 00XJsport
besides shocks and brakelines...at 3" thats really the only stuff you need...
drive shaft and every thing should be ok right?
Old 11-22-2008, 10:46 PM

yep...since yours is a 92 and is the older generation you have a better chance of your driveline not having vibes...
Old 11-22-2008, 10:48 PM

If you get vibes youll need an SYE ot T-Case drop...
The problem with a T-Case drop is that when you do that you actually end up pushing the motor mounts forward and it can wear them out pretty quick.

If I was going to 3" Id install longer bumpstops, otherwise you run the risk of bottoming out your wheels inside the wheel well, also your upper control arms can take out the transmission lines if you nail it over a big bump or go speeding into a deep hole...
There are some great write ups on making your own bumpstops from hockey pucks for the fronts and some others for the rear...

If you go bigger youll need some more crap that costs alot of money...Ive been saving for the past 7 months for a total 4" and I dont see it happening until the end of next summer...this is an expensive little hobby, but totally worth it...in the mean time I do little inexpensive things to get ready, i.e. taking trips to the JY for parts and such...

Good luck!

Last edited by luckylewk; 11-22-2008 at 10:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:49 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1989

You will need longer shocks.
You will also need to relocate the front brake line mounting screw from where it is attached to the fenderwell at the very least.
There is a great write-up in the tech or build sections...do a search for "bastard pack" or "bastard boost"

Good luck! Take pics and do a write-up...particularly on what spring leaf combination gives what amount of lift.
I'm collecting parts "on the cheap" to do the same thing.
Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 PM
Seasoned Member

cool thanks for the help guys
Old 11-22-2008, 10:53 PM

If you get vibes youll need an SYE

If I was going to 3" Id install longer bumpstops, otherwise you run the risk of bottoming out your wheels inside the wheel well, also your upper control arms can take out the transmission lines if you nail it over a big bump or go speeding into a deep hole...
There are some great write ups on making your own bumpstops from hockey pucks for the fronts and some others for the rear...

If you go bigger youll need some more crap that costs alot of money...Ive been saving for the past 7 months for a total 4" and I dont see it happening until the end of next summer...this is an expensive little hobby, but totally worth it...in the mean time I do little inexpensive things to get ready, i.e. taking trips to the JY for parts and such...

Good luck!
you dont have to jump to a SYE...you can simply use a TC drop kit to solve driveline vibes...since its a 92 he probably wont have vibes any way...

bumpstops and upper control arms?...i dont think so...he wont need anything besides coils/spacers, shocks, leaf springs/AAL/shackle, and brakeline adjustments....i think you put things over the top
Old 11-22-2008, 10:54 PM
Seasoned Member

just wanted to make surei had everything straigt thanks for the help guys
Old 11-22-2008, 10:55 PM

Originally Posted by 00XJsport
you dont have to jump to a SYE...you can simply use a TC drop kit to solve driveline vibes...since its a 92 he probably wont have vibes any way...

bumpstops and upper control arms?...i dont think so...he wont need anything besides coils/spacers, shocks, leaf springs/AAL/shackle, and brakeline adjustments....i think you put things over the top
If youre going to do it, do it right...
Old 11-22-2008, 10:57 PM

i dont think most people did all of the stuff you mentioned when only going three inches...

and the TC drop is harmless to the motor mounts...
Old 11-22-2008, 11:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by cheapJeeper
You will need longer shocks.
You will also need to relocate the front brake line mounting screw from where it is attached to the fenderwell at the very least.
There is a great write-up in the tech or build sections...do a search for "bastard pack" or "bastard boost"

Good luck! Take pics and do a write-up...particularly on what spring leaf combination gives what amount of lift.
I'm collecting parts "on the cheap" to do the same thing.
i read the right up on both things and had them both in mind ill keep yall posted on how it goes
Old 11-22-2008, 11:02 PM

One of the guys I wheel with did a T case drop on his 00 XJ and it trashed the mounts, its not unheard of on other forums I visit...

Alls Im saying is that when you are going to put a bunch of money and time (which is money) into your ride youre better served in the long run doing it 100% right than just making it "look cool"...

Im building a purpose vehicle not a weekend warrior, Ill err on the side of caution,
Thank you and good luck

Quick Reply: new kid needs help