Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Jeep: Triage Repairs and How I make her last?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I-6
Default New Jeep: Triage Repairs and How I make her last?

Hey Guys,

Scotty here - and just bought a 99 XJ, I-6, with 127k. She is in pretty good shape, and I'm PUMPED to have an XJ again. Of course, like any used vehicle she needs some attention, and thanks to the contributions from you folks i've been able to figure out just what it is that I need.

I'm hoping for some help triaging my repairs for cost reasons...here is what i need. What do you think I should take care of first?

1. Upstream o2 sensor is failing, causing hesitation and rough idling when the engine is cold, but i think it is happening on the highway too at crusing speed.
2. Front transfer case - I have a leak that appears to be coming from the point where the driveshaft connects to the case. I guess I need a new gasket... what could happen if I put this off? (of note, I'm not at a point where i'm capable of going off-road yet... still have some mods to do).
3. Clock Spring
4. Steering linkages
5. 4WD Sensor

I plan to keep her for a long time, and want to make sure she gets what she needs. That said, any tips for longevity would be helpful!!! I know i'm asking a lot, but i promise to pay it forward with write-ups (specifically with audio stuff, which i'm better at than mechanical ****... though i'm learning as i go along).

Thanks guys!!!!

-Scotty
Boston, MA
Old 08-03-2011, 12:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7

Personally I would fix the oxygen sensor first since it will bone your mileage and drive like hell, trust me its fifty bucks well spent. Then, depending what you mean when you say steering linkage, id probly work on that next since it could present a safety hazard pretty quick. As far as the t case seal leaking, I recall the seal being pretty easy to fix. Oh and you can get the oxygen sensor off with a decent size crescent wrench. As far as clock springs go,I dunno I don't have one. Pick up a haynes manual. It probly won't be your best friend, but more like the guy you at least don't hate. You know that guy.

Sent from my Garminfone while fighting off ninjas
Old 08-03-2011, 02:29 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

I would say o2 and steering. Normally I would ay t.c. and I'm probably going to get kicked in the teeth for this but I've been running on low t.c. fluid for a while. I haven't put it in 4 and haven't had a problem. When I blew my rear u-joint my dshaft dropped and cracked my output housing. I'm finally fixing it tomorrow. I'm also gonna go grab a driveshaft out of a grand cause they're longer... anyhow that's my 2c
Old 08-03-2011, 09:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0

I would do a seafoam, throttle/iac cleaning followed by a major service and see how she goes.

GL.
Old 08-03-2011, 05:35 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by BotakBeng
I would do a seafoam, throttle/iac cleaning followed by a major service and see how she goes.

GL.
When you say do a seafoam, what does that mean? I just bought a bottle but I wasn't sure what to attack first. According to the bottle, you can put it just about anywhere and it will be the most epic thing ever. Is there a standard seafoaming checklist or something?
Old 08-03-2011, 07:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JohnWongFat

When you say do a seafoam, what does that mean? I just bought a bottle but I wasn't sure what to attack first. According to the bottle, you can put it just about anywhere and it will be the most epic thing ever. Is there a standard seafoaming checklist or something?
I've put seafoam through everywhere you can put it through as per the bottle. The most dramatic difference in my experience is using the spray through the throttle body. If you have the liquid, put it through the line from the brake booster to the intake manifold. Epic is the word for seafoam.

Sent from my iPhone using CherokeeFM
Old 08-03-2011, 11:56 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4 liter

Just like tranny fluid to flush an engine DO NOT use it in the oil for more than a few, like 5 miles. It can free up too much gunk and clog passages.
If you do just idle it for a few minutes, drain and change with new oil.

Bleed it slowly in to the brake booster line, and choke it out with the last bit. Let it sit and heat soak for a 15 minutes, fire it up and rev the hell out of it over and over. There'll be smoke for a while and when it stops....... rev it higher.

Do this before you replace the O2 sensors, or pull the upstream one out at least.

Gotta rev it high or it can settle in the cat and clog it fyi.
It's rare but it happens.
Old 08-04-2011, 08:48 AM

Engine: I-6

Thanks for the tips, guys... this should keep me busy for a while!
Scotty