Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Jeep Owner, Just picked up a 87 XJ That I'm Excited To Get On The Road/Trails!!

Old 03-14-2018, 09:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee(SJ)
Default New Jeep Owner, Just picked up a 87 XJ That I'm Excited To Get On The Road/Trails!!

Hey guys Im new here, names Rick and I just got my first Jeep. It is a New to me 1987 Cherokee with the 4.0 that I'm having a couple issues with. The guy I got it from said it has been sitting for the past couple or three years and that it ran and drove good. He said that since it has been sitting a rat or rodent ate a wire that was what was wrong with it lol and I have not been able to find any damaged wires with the exception of the starter wire. It is bare in alot of places like its melted or something. Anyways when I try starting it with the key I get nothing at all, when I go and cross it over on the solenoid I get a loud click with nothing else... I am going to assume I need a new starter, new wire going to the battery but I'm curious as to why the ignition will not engage anything. Any help or advice will be appreciated. I was hoping someone has went through something similar and can point me in the right direction. Here is a pic of my jeep and look forward to any advice.
Also I'm from the Campbell County/ Ride Royal Blue area if there is anyone else in here close to home give me a shout as I would love to do some group rides.

Old 03-14-2018, 10:21 PM
CF Veteran

Received 234 Likes on 207 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: I6 4.0L

If the engine hasn't run in 2-3 years you don't want to start the engine until you've lubed the cylinders. There are varied opinions on this - so if you haven't done it yet, plan on doing it.

After that, you could start by testing whether the starter is getting power from turning the key and go from there.

Then while you're at it, get familiar with www.cruiser54.com.
Old 03-14-2018, 10:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: 99 94
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: I6

Ground to inner fender from the battery could be a cause for not starting with the key but you said you tried jumping the starter so that rules that out. Maybe try smacking the starter with a hammer a few times.
Old 03-15-2018, 09:59 AM

Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

I just bought a 96 2 months ago that was sitting for a 1 year or more. I pulled the starter and took it down to the parts store for them to test it. It is easy to pull. I know that your 87 is different, but I had to replace several sensors to get it to start and tune up.
Old 03-15-2018, 08:50 PM

Model: Cherokee(SJ)

Update: Worked on the ol jeep a while today and I think I narrowed it down to the starter... I took it completely off and hooked up to jumpers and it would just click. So I will be ordering a starter for it probably from RockAuto as all their parts seem to be half the price as local stores like Auto Zone, etc, etc. The downfall to that is just having to wait for it to arrive by mail.

Any advice for getting this thing trail ready after sitting so long? Not really concerned with making it a dependable daily driver but I would like for it to be dependable enough for the woods. Im thinking of the Rough Country lift for it but Im not trying to hardcore wheel with this thing so do you guys think a fender trim and a size or two bigger tire would be suitable enough for some light duty wheeling?

Last edited by rickybobby2189; 03-15-2018 at 08:53 PM. Reason: left some off