Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

First Time Jeep Owner- Extremely Excited, but don't know where to begin.

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2015, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default First Time Jeep Owner- Extremely Excited, but don't know where to begin.

Hey Guys, i've been searching and compiling a list and helpful threads of where I'm going to start and what I'm going to do.

But just wanted to introduce myself and throw a couple of things at you all.
My wife and I just moved to Port Angeles, Washington from now till August for work, and wanted to pick something up cheap to use as a work and fun vehicle. Was planning on getting a basically stock jeep for cheap and going from there.

But

Ended buying a pretty modified 1995 Sport.

223k miles.

4 inch lift, 33" tires, roof rack, bumpers, lights, the works. Looks awesome if you ask me

Locked with Spartan Locker and 4.88 gears front and rear

My big mistake is my wife loved it for the looks and we ultimately bought it for the looks. The seller did not know much history on the jeep. He had not owned it too long and pretty much didnt do any of the modifications. Just did some fluid changes and a Rear Diff service.

Jeep runs solid, but it has some leaks. Looks like the transfer case is leaking, rear diff has a leak. Oil leaking out of oil filter I think, need to verify. Oil pan looks like its leaking too.

Anyways, I want to give it a solid service. I'd like to get another 200k miles out of her 4.0 if i can.

Engine runs strong, Transmission seems strong, she rolls a bit after putting her in park. When I take my foot off gas while running in the 30-60mph range she has a tad of a kick to her.

Steering is has ALOT of play. It takes a good couple inches of left or right on the wheel before she actually responds. Definitely don't like that, and would like to address that asap cause it can be a bit sketchy while driving a narrow road.

She needs balljoints and Ujoints, so that could be my steering play and kick when letting off the gas.

Shes a noisy rattle mobile which i think is just mainly the interior being very loose. BUT does have a pretty significant Vibration at 65-70mph.

But we Love it! Happy to have our first jeep! My wife's family home is on Quadra Island, British Columbia so we plan on leaving the jeep there after our work is done so we have something to play and camp with when we visit her home.

So without knowing any of her previous service history, where should I begin? I'm going to go off the assumption thats its had no major service (unlikely, but I'd rather error on the side of caution)

Where would you all start? What would be the first things to mechanically wise to get every bit of life out of the 4.0 and transmission?

Thanks in advance, i will definitely be utilizing the search bar, and i just downloaded the Pacific Coast Manual for my 1995, just wanted to introduce and see if you guys had any quick answers and suggestions.

Name:  AD26CB11-47A0-425B-B8AE-452B764D5E91_zpszmaa0nah.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  225.1 KB

Name:  6ED05DFE-7019-4AD1-A290-92EC3A8A5390_zpshw5gw90h.jpg
Views: 48
Size:  235.2 KB

Name:  9EB7BB57-DFFE-4B43-86F1-798F2D485DE4_zpsfz0e9gxs.jpg
Views: 52
Size:  44.3 KB

Name:  88E95A57-A1EE-455B-BC0D-21F5E7352857_zpseeudycpz.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  50.9 KB

Name:  EEE0E55C-CA84-4996-A74E-5FBB868E3648_zpsdyrryssd.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  67.7 KB

Name:  B434D18F-EEB5-4F62-A3DF-2615762E64D2_zpsb3kyod1g.jpg
Views: 59
Size:  83.6 KB

Last edited by QuadraRocks; 04-14-2015 at 03:30 PM.
Old 04-14-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0

Nice looking XJ! You should start with the steering and brakes. Your loose steering issues is probably due to worn tie-rod ends. You can replace all of them for under $100. The tie-rods from V8 ZJs are a bolt-in upgrade that cost the same as the wimpier XJ tre.

Check out the condition of the brakes.

Replace all of the fluids, filters, plugs, cap and rotor. Flush the cooling system.

Doing all that will get you familiarized with it and you will find what needs to be taken care of as a priority.
Old 04-14-2015, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The oil leak from the oil filter and oil pan area are likely originating from the Oil Filter O-rings in the oil filter adapter. The valve cover gasket leaking is also very common and may be contributing to your leaks. Both easy fixes. The Vibration at 65-70 is likely out of balance tires. Your loose steering should be first priority, then just take your time and go through everything else at your convenience.
Old 04-15-2015, 06:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2000

You can adjust the drag on the steering box to take some of the slack out of it. But first make sure it's not caused from something else like tie rod ends and what not. Bleepinjeep on youtube has an instructional vid on how to do it. He takes it out to do it but you may be able to adjust it while it's still on the vehicle.
Old 04-15-2015, 07:40 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0l

Great looking Jeep! As mentioned check oil filter adapter and valve cover as they are typical leakers..
Old 04-15-2015, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Welcome to the forum to both you and your wife!

From what I can see very nice looking XJ and even a better looking Wife
Your have posted about quite a few different problems on your first post don't quite know where to start so here goes. The steering is at the top of your list and I would suggest the new items that you posted about along with new tie rods. If your planning on staying with 33" tires the ZJ mid 90's V-8 tie rod setup is fine and much stronger plus being a direct bolt-in.

Next would be a complete clean and flush of the cooling system/heater core to get the block, head and core clean several till everything is very clear. Then I would pull the radiator ($100 AutoZone), water pump and buy new ones along with hoses, belts. Then add coolant and distilled water.

The oil leaks most likely are from the OFA O-Rings (3 pcs.), then possibly a valve cover gasket, dist. gasket or leaking oil pressure sensor. Just have to clean well and see where they are coming from. When these are done run engine till warn drain oil, change filter, refill.

The transfer case leaking makes me wonder several things the first being is if it has an SYE installed (slip yoke eliminator) which is a good idea at 4" of lift I would install one if not their. It has to be checked and when it comes apart have it checked out for ware chain, etc. now is the time to care for it.

The U-Joints need to be checked as well as the seals on the axles. Condition of leafs/coils/shocks/brake lines and are adj. U/LCA's needed?
Old 04-15-2015, 07:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I had this saved, not sure what is in there> https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/jus...1/#post2665172
Old 04-15-2015, 08:23 PM

Thank you everyone! all great advice!

ordered a replacement bushing set for the rough country kit today and new shocks.

Had the front end looked at today, ended up replacing the steering gearbox. Took a little play out. Still getting a bit of play and it looks like its coming from a newly replaced tie rod which is odd.

Anyone know the part numbers on the ZJ v8 tie rods?

a 4x4 shop had a look at the transfer case, and he found a lot of slop in it, and they would like to pull it and have a look and rebuild? Is that a easy enough task for a amateur and could tackle myself? I can wrench and enjoy doing things myself but I'm no mechanic. I'll research that tonight. As well as research the slip yoke eliminator.

Still tackling the leaks. New oil and filter today but still leaking from filter. They probably didnt change the adaptor o rings. Damn.

Will add radiator and water pump to the list.

Its adding up fast, eek, but I'd rather get her running right to enjoy for much longer. What kind of mileage life do well maintained 4.0's get before major failure typically?
Old 04-16-2015, 08:39 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0 I6

Filter adapter O rings are not part of an oil change.
Reason you didn't do change yor self?

20 yr old vehical, going be bit of expense bringing it up to snuff.

Is it just me, or does it look like excessive camber in front?

"WHO" determined it needed a new steering box? Either that wasn't main problem(if at all) or you have lots of worn parts.

If you don't have ability/confidence to check front completely take to shop for diagnosis, and fix if you can.
Old 04-16-2015, 09:59 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Larry's XJ
"WHO" determined it needed a new steering box? Either that wasn't main problem(if at all) or you have lots of worn parts.
Yeah I was wondering the same. I suggested the adjustment on the box itself AFTER verification that other things such as tie rod ends and other components were seen as good or replaced.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:11 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Buy your SYE first then have them pull the TC and install it when its apart taking care of what ever else is wrong.

Don't know the part #'s on the tie rods but from a mid 90 V-8 got mine from AutoZone their brand its a Moog not the cheap set they offer 3 pcs. long tie rod, short tie rod and the sleeve. When I bought mine a year or so ago <$100 out the door.