Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new jeep blow by question

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 05:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default new jeep blow by question

well i got my first Cherokee i traded some of my junk for it and 400 bucks. the guy that had it put 33's on it and i think it has a couple inch lift and he cut the fenders all up hopefully i will be able to fix them.

the main problem is that it had oil all over the engine the front vent tube on the valve cover going to the air filter was broke and was blowing oil like crazy. i took the valve cover off and the PCV valve was all carboned up i tried cleaning it and got the little hole unclogged in the valve but is the PCV valve have something in it that is suppose to open b/c min don't so i am thinking i am going to have to have a new valve cover. also does anyone have any part numbers i need all the vaccum hoses too.

the write up on off-road.com says it is for 1987-1990 Cherokees and the hose goes into the air box in a different place so i think the parts won't fit.

my jeep is a 1994

here are some pics

here is the PCV valve

Old 09-21-2009, 06:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1999 XJ
Engine: I6 4.0L

Yuck. Replace or thoroughly clean the valve cover and get a new PCV valve. You should hear a rattling when you shake it, if you don't its all mucked up in there. I'd replace it with a freshie anyway with the way that old port looks.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:48 PM

ok thanks for the reply and if i go to advance auto or auto zone and get a valve cover it will come with a PCV valve already in in right? and should they have the vaccum hoses that come out of the valve cover mine are all dry rotted

also off topic but this thing keeps logging me out every time i reload the page any one know why like after i post this and the page loads i will be logged out i have to keep logging in
Old 09-21-2009, 07:03 PM
CF Veteran

I wouldn't spend the money on a new valve cover unless it is cracked or gouged around where it is supposed to seal. Get two cans of brake cleaner and just spray the heck out of it and scrub it down, it'll be like new in a few. If you still choose to get a new one, I don't think they come with new PCV valves, that is something you'll need to purchase separately as well as the rubber grommet that the PCV valve sits into. By the looks of everything else on there, yes, I would replace the hoses running to and fro as well as cleaning/replacing the vac line that runs from the opposite end of the valve cover. When you're all done you might jet some seafoam or TB cleaner through there just to clean out any other gunk in the system. As for the logging issues, make sure you have cookies enabled in your web browser and your add-ons isn't auto-purging after each page view. Might be an antivirus integration as well. If you're using IE try Firefox or Opera, they can be less irritable.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:29 PM

oic i thought that the PCV valve was made in the valve cover or would i have to get like a in line PCV valve or something
Old 09-21-2009, 07:35 PM
CF Veteran

Nah, it should sit right on top of your valve cover also acting as a 90° angle to route the hose back to the intake. Tug on that thing and it should separate from your valve cover. There will be a rubber grommet which should also come loose from the plastic valve cover. This is the way it is on my XJ, I wouldn't think yours would be too different but it could be. When you go to the auto store, ask for a new valve cover to see what it looks like compared to yours.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:48 PM
CF Veteran

This is the PCV valve on my little 4 cylinder AMC.
Old 09-21-2009, 10:45 PM

here is what my cover looks like i doesn't have a PCV valve from the way i understand but i checked the hoses that hook to the back and they are 4 sure clogged so i am going to replace them. the elbows on the valve cover are hard and i don't know if i can pull them out and replace them or not.

Old 09-21-2009, 10:58 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L I6

hey for $400 thats not a bad deal!!