Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Hub and Axle U-joint

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 03:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L 6LTR 4x4 sport
Angry New Hub and Axle U-joint

Hi,

I just got done replacing my hub and axle U joint on my 99 Cherokee Sport 4x4 left front. What started out as a loud houling noise and a clicking noise, with a slight vibration in the steering wheel I was informed that replacing both parts will fix my problem. Well after droping nearly 200 dollars, I still have a houling noise on my left front. It is worth mentioning that the U joint was crap and the Hub was shot. Could anybody help with this noise? I was also being told that it could be coming from my driveshaft U joint or the passengerside hub and Axle U joint. But, I insist that the noise and vibration is on the driver side. Any help is greatly and deeply appreciated

Best Regards
Mike S.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:12 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0l

have access to a lift? if so, put it up and check the driveshafts/u-joints for any play/movement. is there any? if not, get the wheels/tires moving. BE CAREFUL!! of course, around spinning tires and driveshafts. Have a person in the truck and have them put the trans in drive, have a listen, [but because tthe bearings/wheels/tires are not loaded with weight you may not be able to reproduce the noise], i cannot stress enough to be extra careful around moving parts! Noises can transfer thru components such as diffs, so it is possible that the noise is in the right side hub. or in your front driveshaft. lastly, it could be transfering thru that driveshaft from your transfer case. noise does move/transfer.
Old 02-13-2009, 07:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

yeah best bet is to put it on a lift like he said trying to listen out the windew going down the road it is hard to pin point but if you replaced the drivers side you should do the pasangers side as well and check your drive shaft for a seized u joint