Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New here, I could use a little help with oil pump

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2017, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New here, I could use a little help with oil pump

Hey all, I'm new here and need some help. I recently rebuilt the 4.0 in my 2000 XJ. Without getting long winded, I usually prime oil pumps by pulling the fuel pump fuse and turn it over til I get oil out of the filter housing. Im not getting any oil at all. What could be the issue? Oil pump is new. I did have the distributor drive out but put it back in correctly. Anh ideas? I would really like to veg this thing to fire up. Thanks
Old 08-21-2017, 01:43 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

When I changed mine, I just primed it by using a long flathead screwdriver blade attached to a drill in place of the distributor drive. I've heard it can take up to half a minute to get a pressure reading with the pump fuse trick.
Old 08-21-2017, 01:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Little late for the OP now but I've always packed the oil pump gears with Vaseline before installing it. Took very little time to get the oil flowing then using drill with the proper pump drive in it.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by JK253
When I changed mine, I just primed it by using a long flathead screwdriver blade attached to a drill in place of the distributor drive. I've heard it can take up to half a minute to get a pressure reading with the pump fuse trick.
I second this, or pack with Vasoline. I personally like priming with the driver so that I can verify the pump is primed before I start
Old 08-21-2017, 07:36 PM
Banned

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

I don't have the FSM in front of me right now, but I believe the screwdriver/drill method is what's detailed in there. I know that's the method in the installation notes for my stroker.