Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Head or Electrical? Motor problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2012, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New Head or Electrical? Motor problem

I have a 97 Cherokee with a 4.0, not HO with just under 190,000. Around 4-5 inches of lift with 31's. At about 170,000 my ex thought it would be a fun suprise for me to put in a programmer and cold air intake. The programmer wasn't installed correctly and my engine light came on. It was pinging when I was on the gas which I assumed was because he didn't adjust the timing right. I am now stuck with the aftermath of trying to fix my Jeep. The programmer was removed and so was the cold air intake. But now my motor is running like crap. I was getting an O2 sensor code which I replaced and it did nothing. I am having troubles with it running hot 180+ at all times; to which I replaced the thermostat (160) and radiator cap. It has sounded like I had a bad valve (the tick went away with a little throttle) and thought I would need a new head but I went to start it the other day and the tick is gone plus the light was off after a time of sitting and the battery dying. Starting to wonder if maybe this is an electrical issue? My distributor cap and rotor look bad inside due to the misfire. It takes off like a champ but while cruising around 45 half throttle the motor starts shaking and causing almost a death wobble. It goes away with giving it gas. I did a map sensor at 130,000 wondering if it's time again (originally when I got the Jeep the Map Sensor was junk), plus maybe a knock sensor and the obvious of doing the distributor over including a magnetic p/u. Any suggestions for a girl who isn't a total idiot on how to fix this on my own? I can only figure out so much.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

I think I would start with a basic tune up- spark plugs, wires, cap/rotor, then maybe have the exhaust manifold checked for cracks. You could possibly check the fuel injectors too.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Oh, and the gauge on the dash should read about 200*. The engine will not run well if it's too cold (bad gas mileage) and normally run around 210* which is it's optimal temp.
Old 05-02-2012, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can agree it needs to run more towards 180+ on the temp. My issue is I NEVER had a motor problem till the programmer was added/ removed and since then it hasn't run right. So while the manifold is a nice suggestion I know it's not a problem; no leaks. I know they are famous for cracking. I did a tune-up and it ran good for about a day and when I checked the cap it was back to being black and with plenty of shavings.
Old 05-02-2012, 07:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by Cherockee
Oh, and the gauge on the dash should read about 200*. The engine will not run well if it's too cold (bad gas mileage) and normally run around 210* which is it's optimal temp.
^^ X2 ^^
Also You need to change you thermostat again. The correct temp for the 4.0 Jeep is 190 deg. F. Also when you do the tune up Get good quality parts such as the wires, rotor and cap. When you get plugs buy champion copper top and gap them at 0.035.