Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Guy with some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 01:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1991
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New Guy with some Q's

Hello new guy here from GA, i signed up about a week ago and have been trolling around and searching the forums because i have been looking to get into a cherokee very soon. Well i have found a potential cherokee that im interested in and if its still avliable come monday i will be making the drive to go look at it (140 mile on way trip). its a 1990 4WD with automatic and 4.0 that has 180k on it. I called and asked why the price was so lowered compared to others and what else was wrong and shes stated everything works but the A/C (and thats no problem with me) it also has a clean title. So im here to ask what should i look for when i go to look at it? and what might be common problems with this year? I also plan on taking it to a shop to have a certified tech. take a look up under it. Heres the link

http://www.autotrader.com/fyc/vdp.js...standard=false

My plan with this jeep is to daily drive it and take in on trails and in the mud on weekends nothing major but just to put a smile on my face
Old 10-08-2009, 02:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If would appear in the pics that the left front fender has been changed or repainted due to the slight color difference, so I would definately check for frame damage on the front. As always check for rust in the floor pans. The tcase shift patern looks like it will be a NP231, so make sure the front axle will engage in 4WD, the vac disco front axles are prone to failure. Check all fluids, brakes, tires, lights, wipers, etc. You don't want to have to spend a chunk of cash on all the small things the same week you buy it. And finally, go in prepared to haggle the price a little. I think $975 is a little much for 180K miles even with everything in good condition for that year model. After a good inspection offer $750 and go from there.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by winston427
If would appear in the pics that the left front fender has been changed or repainted due to the slight color difference, so I would definately check for frame damage on the front. As always check for rust in the floor pans. The tcase shift patern looks like it will be a NP231, so make sure the front axle will engage in 4WD, the vac disco front axles are prone to failure. Check all fluids, brakes, tires, lights, wipers, etc. You don't want to have to spend a chunk of cash on all the small things the same week you buy it. And finally, go in prepared to haggle the price a little. I think $975 is a little much for 180K miles even with everything in good condition for that year model. After a good inspection offer $750 and go from there.
awsome reply and thank you. Also this is a very newb question but when sticking the vehicle in 4WD does the jeep have to be stoped or at a slight roll? also is it ok to do on the pavment or does it have to be in the grass or dirt?
Old 10-08-2009, 02:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by WTF?
awsome reply and thank you. Also this is a very newb question but when sticking the vehicle in 4WD does the jeep have to be stoped or at a slight roll? also is it ok to do on the pavment or does it have to be in the grass or dirt?

The NP242 tcase can be used on the pavement, the NP231 "should not". You can do it for the purpose of testing it to make sure it engages, but really will not be able to tell if the front wheels are pulling unless they have a loose surface to slip on or are off the ground on a lift. Even then the vac disco shift motors have a reputation for the diaphram inside to become brittle and rot. It may hold enough vacuum to engage but then leak off enough to disengage.

You can engage the tcase on the XJ while it is moving as long as you are moving slow. It is a shift on the fly system.
Old 10-08-2009, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by winston427
The NP242 tcase can be used on the pavement, the NP231 "should not". You can do it for the purpose of testing it to make sure it engages, but really will not be able to tell if the front wheels are pulling unless they have a loose surface to slip on or are off the ground on a lift. Even then the vac disco shift motors have a reputation for the diaphram inside to become brittle and rot. It may hold enough vacuum to engage but then leak off enough to disengage.

You can engage the tcase on the XJ while it is moving as long as you are moving slow. It is a shift on the fly system.
thanks again man