Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new the forum, have some questions

Old 09-11-2010, 05:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default new the forum, have some questions

im new to this forum, i just picked up a 1998 cherokee sport from a friend for 1000 bucks, its got 200,000 miles but its as clean as a whistle and runs incredible. i currently own a ford explorer but the IFS sucks and something breaks every time i wheel so i had to pick it up, im gunna dd the explorer and wheel the cherokee. ive been looking at some lifts and ive decided to go with the 4.5 inch kit from rough country, i dont want to spend the extra for the new rear leaf pack so im gunna get the AAL and shackles and if thats not enough add some blocks to even it out, has anyone done that? is it also worth it to pay the extra for the nitro 9000 shocks. im also looking for some engines mods to add some power, im gunna build a snorkel and put a new throttle body on it, any other good cheap power adders? my only other question was if these axles have open or LS differentials. any help or input would be greatly appreciated as im new to jeeps and have alot to learn.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

Originally Posted by tgreene92
im new to this forum, i just picked up a 1998 cherokee sport from a friend for 1000 bucks, its got 200,000 miles but its as clean as a whistle and runs incredible. i currently own a ford explorer but the IFS sucks and something breaks every time i wheel so i had to pick it up, im gunna dd the explorer and wheel the cherokee. ive been looking at some lifts and ive decided to go with the 4.5 inch kit from rough country, i dont want to spend the extra for the new rear leaf pack so im gunna get the AAL and shackles and if thats not enough add some blocks to even it out, has anyone done that? is it also worth it to pay the extra for the nitro 9000 shocks. im also looking for some engines mods to add some power, im gunna build a snorkel and put a new throttle body on it, any other good cheap power adders? my only other question was if these axles have open or LS differentials. any help or input would be greatly appreciated as im new to jeeps and have alot to learn.
dont go with the add a leaf, you will regret it. they sag real quickly and ride like garbage. what makes you want a 4.5" kit? i'd go with a 3.5" kit, they're cheaper, simpler, and you'll run into less problems than with a 4.5. plus you can run 31s which is still a decent size. or if you want to run bigger just trim the fenders and add the appropriate bumpstops then you're good to go. also, typically with any lift above 3.5" you will need a Slip Yolk Eliminator, new driveshaft and have to shim the axle. yea, more $$$$.
Old 09-11-2010, 05:20 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I run 4.5in all around and only needed to do a tc drop ,so you should be good.I didn't need an SYE or longer shafts.Go to the jy and get leaves fron a 4x4 S10 and cut the ears off the main spring.Use the main XJ spring and pitch the rest.Bolt all but the bottom helper spring from the S-10 pack to the XJ main and that will give you 4.5in that will last.I've had my S-10 springs in for quite a while now and love them.They are about $40.You'll have to drill the center hole on the XJ spring out to 3/8 and get center pins for an S-10 and your good to go.

Last edited by troy fritz; 09-11-2010 at 05:22 PM.