Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New to forum few questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 08:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New to forum few questions

Hey everyone, new to site and am ready to finally make my one of my first posts. Ill start by saying this is a very helpful site with many knowledgable people to help with almost any problem one might have. I have done a lot of reading and already have learned a ton. I have always been a big land cruiser fan. About a year ago I bought a 2 door 2wd 5 cylinder 5 spped from a friend for driving to and from work and I fell in love. Recently I was headin to my hunting camp and saw a 4 door 4x4 jeep on the side of ther road and decided to stop and check it out. After turned out to be a 5 speed 4.0 . All power windows and locks. In very good condition. Had a pretty good bit of miles on it, 250000, but run great. After haggling with the man I ended up driving away with it for 1500. A complete steal. Ac blows so cold it will run you out of it. The only problem with it is the heater doesn't seem to want o blow very hot. With the winter approaching I was wanting to get this taking care of quick. Any ideas on what this might be? Ill post some pics of it later on today. Thanks guys.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

4 cyl. Lol phone buttons are a little close together.
Old 11-01-2012, 08:31 AM
Herp Derp Jerp

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L OBD-II

If the AC works great than that leaves the blend door and heater core. Checking the heater core is easy: Using an IR temp gun, or less accurate and possibly more painful your hand, check the temp of the two hoses running from the engine into the firewall. Both should be hot. One being significantly hotter than the other indicates a blockage in the core itself, which you might be able to flush out or might have to replace. If this XJ is new to you then a coolant flush is really a good idea anyway. If both hoses are hot then its possible the blend door inside the dash is stuck
Old 11-01-2012, 08:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

Like salad said. Start with a good cooling system flush. When you flush the heater core flush it separately and flush it in both directions.