Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Clutch issues. SOFT, Slave Cylinder

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2017, 05:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default New Clutch issues. SOFT, Slave Cylinder

Hey Guys,

Been a while since I posted last. I recently had my clutch go out in my DD. 98 xj AX-15 so I had to pay a shop to have it replaced so I could get to work. I get in to pick it up today and there is a small stutter initially in 1st gear and the mechanic said that would go away when the clutch gets seated. The other question I have is a few years ago I replaced the Master Cylinder and slave cylinder with a sealed unit, When I picked up the jeep today they replaced only the slave cylinder. The clutch is extremely soft and the release point is almost at the top of the pedal. Main question is it Ok to replace only the Slave or do I need to take it back and have them replace the whole unit MC and SC. Also will the clutch break in and become more firm? I have maybe put 20 miles on it so far. Thanks guys.

Last edited by brg0012; 04-19-2017 at 06:27 PM.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 374 Likes on 294 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

I replaced my clutch when I put in the new trans. Clutch pedal was super soft compared to the old clutch. It didnt chatter at all. 1000 miles later, the pedal is a little harder and the clutch chatters a little on take off. I would say that my engagement point end is about 3/4 of the way up with the first 1/4 doing nothing. I did not replace the master or slave. Currently at 160k miles.