Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New Cherokee won't start :(

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 07:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New Cherokee won't start :(

Hi everyone, I'm new to the Cherokee and these forums so please excuse me for being a newb.

I bought my 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatic a few days ago and it ran great. I'm really happy with it. I took it 4wheeling last night and it did great. I went to wash it today, started it up and moved it in the driveway and washed it. Then I went to start it and click. Nothing, doesn't try to turn over or anything.

I checked the started relay, all the fuses, wiggled the shifter back and forth and nothing. If I jump the terminals in the starter relay it will start, but when I swap the starter relay it makes no difference. I tried bypassing the nss in the connector with a paper clip and that didn't work.

Do you guys have any idea what it could be? I can still drive it but I have to do so by jumping the starter relay and it's annoying. Thanks a bunch
Old 02-19-2013, 07:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Possible ignition switch ?
Old 02-19-2013, 07:39 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by kryan
Hi everyone, I'm new to the Cherokee and these forums so please excuse me for being a newb.

I bought my 1998 Jeep Cherokee 4.0 automatic a few days ago and it ran great. I'm really happy with it. I took it 4wheeling last night and it did great. I went to wash it today, started it up and moved it in the driveway and washed it. Then I went to start it and click. Nothing, doesn't try to turn over or anything.

I checked the started relay, all the fuses, wiggled the shifter back and forth and nothing. If I jump the terminals in the starter relay it will start, but when I swap the starter relay it makes no difference. I tried bypassing the nss in the connector with a paper clip and that didn't work.

Do you guys have any idea what it could be? I can still drive it but I have to do so by jumping the starter relay and it's annoying. Thanks a bunch
If you hear one click when you try to start it then its your starter. Tap the selenoid a couple times while someone turns the key until it starts. No click then try to start in neutral
Old 02-19-2013, 07:54 PM

I may be wrong but I don't think it's the starter. I can jump the starter and it will start right up. I'm thinking maybe ignition switch, but the blower motor turns off when I turn the key over. Does that mean the starter switch is working?

Last edited by kryan; 02-19-2013 at 08:01 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:04 PM
Seasoned Member

I may be wrong but I don't think it's the starter. I can jump the starter and it will start right up. I'm thinking maybe ignition switch
Im talking about the selenoid attached to the starter, its a small cylinder attached to it with wiring going from it to the starter itself. These wires are only an inch or two so that will help you find the selenoid. The starter may be fine but if the selenoid doesnt engage fully (1 click or none if its really bad are signs of this part not working) then power cant get to the starter. Thats why i said tap the selenoid not the starter. I specify only so its not over looked if your not familiar. And also check all battery cable, starter cables connections. A bad connection there while starting and things can verywell just cut out.

Last edited by JJCIII; 02-19-2013 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:16 PM

could be a loose conection somewhere after goin wheelin and bumpin around
Old 02-19-2013, 08:17 PM

Ok I wi try tapping the solenoid. Also I was jumping it at the relay, when I got it to start. I'm willing to try anything to diagnose it though so I will let you know what happens.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:19 PM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 93bluexj
could be a loose conection somewhere after goin wheelin and bumpin around
agreed, sounds like loose ground or loose battery terminals....one loud "click" is the sound of a lost connection.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Ok I wi try tapping the solenoid. Also I was jumping it at the relay, when I got it to start. I'm willing to try anything to diagnose it though so I will let you know what happens.
Well if you had to jump the relay plug only then its probably the relay. I thought you meant you jumped the positive cable attched to the starter.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:27 PM

I swapped it with the fuel pump relay and same thing. It has to be something between the key and relay. My next best guess is ignition switch. It starts and runs perfect when I jump it at the relay.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:37 PM
Seasoned Member

I swapped it with the fuel pump relay and same thing. It has to be something between the key and relay. My next best guess is ignition switch. It starts and runs perfect when I jump it at the relay.
I see in that case you will have the check the switch then. If theres no power to the positive side of the coil in the relay then its the switch or the wiring to or after it. You could also wire in a switch as an anti theft kinda thing to it if you dont want to replace the switch or fix wiring which ever is the case.
Old 02-19-2013, 08:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993

I may be wrong but I don't think it's the starter. I can jump the starter and it will start right up. I'm thinking maybe ignition switch, but the blower motor turns off when I turn the key over. Does that mean the starter switch is working?
I am thinking if you can start it by jumping the terminals on the starter it may be just the solenoid on the starter. As someone else mentioned if you hear a click when you try to start that is the plunger on the solenoid. It's possible for one to be bad independent of the other.
Old 02-19-2013, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

check for current at small wire on starter selinoid when keys turned to start position .
Old 02-19-2013, 11:06 PM

A quick easy test is turn the key on and put it in reverse (not running with the e brake on) and see if the reverse lights are on. if not the neutral safety switch is bad or needs adjustment. They are very common for going bad on Cherokees.
Old 02-20-2013, 09:23 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I'm with Blue, ****** and my own experience....battery cables.

Quick Reply: New Cherokee won't start :(