Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

new to the cherokee, have a few questions...

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2009, 09:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1988
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default new to the cherokee, have a few questions...

First of all, I am not a newbie. I know I should search and what not, but I thought I would ask a few quick questions...
Btw, I have an 88 Cherokee Laredo, 5speed, 4x4, Two door.

1) Whats a good online site to get aftermarket parts/upgrades? Like: now foglights, safari racks, fender flares, etc.
2) The stock alternator sucks! Is there any other alternator thatll bold up without serious modifications? I do want to keep my A/C too btw, and does anyone make a spash gaurd to protect it? If I do go off road, I dont want to worry about it, but at the same time, Im not going to be going through four feet of water.
3) My A/C system is charged and everything seems intact, but i doesnt blow cold. The pump engages and everything but no cold air, is there an easy fix to this?
4) Center console options, are there any interchangable ones that have a cup holder?
5) Drive seat lean, can I fix it without having to replace the whole frame?
6) Power window motors, theyre old and weak, its time for new ones right? If I role the passenger one down all the way, I have to take the door panel off to get it back up.

Thanks for all the help guys! Anything else I should check out or replace?

Last edited by kbernal1016; 07-18-2009 at 09:57 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0
Default Drivers seat lean

My drivers seat had me leaning to the left when I bought my Jeep. Bought some fiber fill from Wal-Mart for 10 bucks and put it in the sagging side, just lift up the seat covers and stuff a piece in there, mine is like new now.

Morris 4x4 is my fav site on the web, but also try Rusty's and JC Whitney.
http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cherokee/menu.htm

Don't know about your A/C.

Jeep makes factory cup holders for the Cherokee that looks like this, this one is $20 on ebay. I would'nt get the other one that goes over the parking break, they get in the way of the handle movement.

Make a splash guard yourself out of sheet metal from Home Depot.

and yes, if you have to remove the door panel to get the power window back up, that's a reliable indicator it's time for a new motor.
Old 07-19-2009, 12:32 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1995

Yeah welcome to the forum
Old 07-19-2009, 12:53 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Old 07-19-2009, 06:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

first off welcome to the forum this is the only site you will need click this link
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/search.php
Old 07-19-2009, 12:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 482 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Originally Posted by kbernal1016
1) Whats a good online site to get aftermarket parts/upgrades? Like: now foglights, safari racks, fender flares, etc.
2) The stock alternator sucks! Is there any other alternator thatll bold up without serious modifications? I do want to keep my A/C too btw, and does anyone make a spash gaurd to protect it? If I do go off road, I dont want to worry about it, but at the same time, Im not going to be going through four feet of water.
3) My A/C system is charged and everything seems intact, but i doesnt blow cold. The pump engages and everything but no cold air, is there an easy fix to this?
Welcome to the forum.

1. www.quadratec.com
www.4wd.com

2. Late model ZJ works, or you can put the bucks towards a Power Master and go up to 200 amp

3. Check the temp selection damper in the heater and make sure it operates. Also, when running you should be able to feel a cold hose, the big one on top where it comes out of the TXV

Last edited by 4.3L XJ; 07-19-2009 at 12:06 PM.
Old 07-19-2009, 02:26 PM

Man I love online forums! Thanks guys!

What's the part number for those cup holders?

And I will use the search, I just wanted to get as much as possible in one thread so I can always come back to this one for reference.
Old 07-19-2009, 03:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997

I recently bought my '97 XJ and noticed that the 4WD switch on the T-Case was bad. I thought it would take a while to find the part but I found this place in a minute...the part was on its way in five and ended up at my front door in three days: http://www.jeep4x4center.com/cherokee/menu.htm (same as indicated above)

My air was blowing warm with a charged system. I took the module out of the dash and found a bent cable that wasn't allowing the heat duct to close...straightened the cable and the air blows at about 48 degrees.

Good luck and welcome.
Old 07-19-2009, 05:15 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 in-line

(Jeep makes factory cup holders for the Cherokee that looks like this, this one is $20 on ebay. I would'nt get the other one that goes over the parking break, they get in the way of the handle movement.)

That's just the cup holder that goes on the side of the console, not the whole console, right?
Old 07-19-2009, 05:27 PM

Yes, that is the cup holder you are thinking of.

Now that I think about it, my temp selection **** wont go all the way to the left (cold). It stops about a quarter of an inch there. Thats a tell tell sign that that cable bent right??
Old 07-20-2009, 02:01 AM

I can't seem to find the sealS for the window tracks...The ones all around the driver And passenger window.

Where can I find those?
Old 07-20-2009, 03:37 AM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 Renix HO. head

About the power windows motors..... Alot of times the felt impregnated coil or cable that moves the window up and down is the big culprit. I had the same issue with mine and I went from door to door taking off the panel and cleaning the rust from the cable/coil. I had to only replace 1 window unit because the coil ( I keep saying coil because its basically a spring with felt in it) snapped and wouldnt let the window down far enough.

take about two hours and just keep sprying and moving the window up and down occationally wiping the coil down. There are guide tubes at the bottom where this coil rides in and out of.. youll see what I mean when you crack the door open... One of mine had fallen off and the coil wasnt guided so the window wouldnt roll down enough..

after doing that my three other windows roll up and down just as fast and the new one does and I only spent the same amount of time I wouldve in replacing them along with 3 bucks for some pb blaster and a little bit of grease.... Save yourself some money and try it... You'll be amazed at how much the speed and movement improves after you do this... also beats trying to get the power assembly bolted/riveted back in....

Ohh and welcome to the forum....
Old 07-20-2009, 04:04 AM

I know what you're talking about, I was thinking of doing the same thing. However, the body of my xj has 337k miles on it and I'm sure that motor us tired!
How did you manage to get grease into that little tube?
What about the window channel/mouldings? Where can I find them?
Old 07-20-2009, 04:12 AM

First I basicalled pulled all of the tubes off. The one I couldnt pull off got a good liberal dosage of PB blaster. Ran a few times then did it again. You have to get to both the lower part of the coil and the upper part where its metal. after I was satisfied with the movement being free I used a needle attachment on my grease gun.. the one used to punctur and fill not greasable ball joints and tie rod ends... and pierced the bottom tubes while the window was down then ran it up and greased again inside the tube. then did the same above the motor and on the metal track.

Prior to that i couldnt get the window up or had to help it... Now its a close race between the drivers and passenger windows to roll up ...drivers is the new regulator installed...
Old 07-20-2009, 04:14 AM

btw if your looking for replacements.... its really hard to find the channels... A JY would be the easiest place to pull them from. the channel mouldings are on each side of the window as it rolls down. Its basically felt lined rubber... sometimes youll notice that the rubber channel has come out of the metal c channel. easy enough to locate.. look left and right in the door... same black rubber felt lined thing thats in the window frame...

Last edited by bishop letov; 07-20-2009 at 04:16 AM.

Quick Reply: new to the cherokee, have a few questions...