Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New alt Not Charging.

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2010, 06:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New alt Not Charging.

Hi, i have read countless threads on this subject bud didnt find any answers.
I have a problem for you guys. The orginal alternator was not charging and the jeep was running off the battery (11.62V), so i replaced the alternator and put in a good battery from another truck (12.6V). Checked and cleaned all the grounds before i started it. It charged great 13.8v at idle and 14.2v reved. not even 1/2 hour of running later it stopped charging (11.6-12V) and theres a few other wierd electrical problems now. The radio turns off when you turn the headlights on, the dash lights are out and there are no blown fuses. My question is what could the problem be? PCM? field regulator circut? i dont see any evidence of chafed or broken wires......

thanks in advance
Old 03-26-2010, 03:54 PM

frick thats pretty much the same problem i have exept my dash dies out
Old 11-21-2010, 09:49 AM

Default New alt Not Charging.

Hi guys, I found this old thread with my problem and am wondering if you figured this out. My 98 GC w 5.2 L has a recent alternator (Replaced by last owner) It tests good but I have not had the tester on when it does this. At start up or about the time I hit the street the guage drops to zero and the info center tells me there is a charging system problem. If I pull over and restart or just drive a little further the voltage comes back (so far). This alternator apparently has a external regulator located in the ECM. I'm hoping there a way to fix this without buying a new ecm. anybody else have this particular problem?
Old 11-21-2010, 02:43 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Vanquish
Hi, i have read countless threads on this subject bud didnt find any answers.
I have a problem for you guys. The orginal alternator was not charging and the jeep was running off the battery (11.62V), so i replaced the alternator and put in a good battery from another truck (12.6V). Checked and cleaned all the grounds before i started it. It charged great 13.8v at idle and 14.2v reved. not even 1/2 hour of running later it stopped charging (11.6-12V) and theres a few other wierd electrical problems now. The radio turns off when you turn the headlights on, the dash lights are out and there are no blown fuses. My question is what could the problem be? PCM? field regulator circut? i dont see any evidence of chafed or broken wires......

thanks in advance
A year and engine size would be helpful.