Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New AC Issues. Pressures good, temperatures not

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2017, 05:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New AC Issues. Pressures good, temperatures not

A quick history.

Bought an xj a few year ago, after the first winter, the AC refrigerant had leaked out, so I pulled a vacuum, and refilled. It lasted through the summer months and then this spring, it had leaked again. I assumed at this point that it was the evaporator seeing how every time I started the car up and the blower, I got a strong refrigerant smell in the cabin, and seeing how "fun" of a job that is, I chose to hope that it would hold for the year again, so I vacuumed it out, and recharged. This time it lasted for about 2 weeks.

So... I went ahead and pulled the dash, swapped out the evaporator and heater core (also changed the receiver/drier while I was at it). Vacuum checked it when all back together, it held for an hour, charged it and all seemed well. For about 2 days. Then it was blowing warm again. Found the leak, it was the hose running from the accumulator outlet to the compressor. Fixed that (I think) last night and went to charge it.

This is where it got kinda weird. I added a little bit of dye to the line before giving it the refrigerant. That went fine. Then I pierced the can of refrigerant and opened up the low side valve. It started taking it in, then stopped. For about 2 minutes. Can was not cold. So I shook the can up a little bit, then set it back down, I had to do this a few times, but it finally took the whole can. The low side pressure was now showing 45 psi... AFTER ONLY ONE 12oz CAN! The system takes 20oz according to the FSM.

Went to check the vents.... slightly cool, but that's it. Ambient temperatures were 80 and humidity was high (dew points near 70), the temperature out of the vents was 68ish degrees. It was late so I stopped for the night.

Came home today and started again on it. It's 90 out today with high humidity again. The following pictures are what I found.

Pressures look fine. The low side pressure started out low, around 25, but then worked up to around 32, high side started at around 225 then rose to 250. Oddly enough last night the low side was 30 or so, but high side was also really low, like 180. Pressures seem erratic. High side disconnect was also extremely hot to the touch.

Ran the blower up to 4, and set it on recirc. Cycled the blend door while checking temperature, the heater core is absolutely working. And I can see the motor spinning the blend door rod while rotating the **** from hot to cool, so that appears fine.

The weirdest thing, is that the outlet of the accumulator is warm to the touch with the AC on full... That line is normally cold and dripping with condensation.

I'm at a loss. Pressures are fine Temperatures are not. I added 5 oz of oil to the system after replacing the evap/accum. Everything seems to be running fine, with the exception of cool air.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I did NOT change out the fixed orifice tube while doing all of this work. I did buy one today, but it's still wrapped up.

Thanks

Last edited by 98Redbird; 06-16-2017 at 05:50 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Different temps will produce different pressure.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:42 PM
CF Veteran

90 degrees should be around 45 to 55 on low.....http://rechargeac.com/how-to/ac-system-pressure-chart

Last edited by freegdr; 06-16-2017 at 05:58 PM.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Different temps will produce different pressure.
Not sure which part you're referring to?

Another note, pressures low/high do equalize fairly quickly when the compressor is off to about 110 psi
Old 06-16-2017, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
90 degrees should be around 45 on low.....http://rechargeac.com/how-to/ac-system-pressure-chart
Yup, I've got a copy of the FSM too, been using it for this process, but kind of stuck now
Old 06-16-2017, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Add freon if its 90 degrees pressure still low. I fill ac systems by the vent temp. Old school here..Also Ac will blow colder when driving the idleing as more air is going thru condensor cooling freon.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

Raise idle up about 1500 see what pressure read.
Old 06-16-2017, 05:50 PM

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

As stated before you're still low .
Old 06-16-2017, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 277 Likes on 243 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

You can try crimping off the heater hoses to see if the temp door is closing all the way . do you know how much freon is in the system ? if you don't know I would start all over empty the system and recharge with right amount .