Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

New 96 XJ sport 4dr

Old 03-05-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default New 96 XJ sport 4dr

Just bought a 96 xj im in college atm so needed a cheap rig for some mild wheeling and to haul my bike so straight to the point im replacing the blower motor and resistor as the motor barely works and only on high -.- so I searched the forums and didnt come up with anything I need to remove the washer reservoir as it sits on top of the blower motor cant figure out how to remove and cant seem to locate the resistor I was looking under the glove for it couldnt quiet find it if someone could perhaps explain or send a link on how to remove both reservoir and resistor would be much appreciated thanks everyone
Old 03-06-2015, 02:41 PM

ANNNNND I cant seem to find a blower motor with a harness already attached and cant figure out how to remove the old blower motor from the harness(plug) and got a leak at the heater control valve. can anyone shoot me some advice on how to remove the wires from the harness so I can reuse it and maybe even how to remove the cage wouldnt mind reusing that aswell. The old lady I bought it from got it oil sprayed so shes a bit dirty under the hood gonna be cleaning that up very soon so I apologize for the mess ;P
Attached Thumbnails New 96 XJ sport 4dr-img_0790.jpg   New 96 XJ sport 4dr-img_0791.jpg  
Old 03-06-2015, 04:17 PM

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0

You will probably have to cut the old harness off and splice into those wires with the new motor. The resistor is in the passenger footwell under a plastic cover that removes with 1 or 2 screws. You can bypass the heater control valve because they are prone to leaking and they are not really needed. I would check your blower switch too because it will probably look like mine did on my 96
Attached Thumbnails New 96 XJ sport 4dr-image-2175264998.jpg   New 96 XJ sport 4dr-image-1547068481.jpg  
Old 03-06-2015, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by CentralPAXJ
You will probably have to cut the old harness off and splice into those wires with the new motor. The resistor is in the passenger footwell under a plastic cover that removes with 1 or 2 screws. You can bypass the heater control valve because they are prone to leaking and they are not really needed. I would check your blower switch too because it will probably look like mine did on my 96
yea I just finished splicing gonna give her a try in the morning got a new cage to also THANK YOU found the resistor was easy beside the top mounted screw is in the worst position ever still only a 15min job thanks alot man and the switch isnt to bad might aswell swap it while im at it n e how I alrdy got a new heater control valve was 18 bucks gonna do that in the morning to if it leaks again ill just bypass it. thanks again man for the tip gonna wrap it up for the night tho its -30'c here and im working in a make shift garage made of 6x6's and a pool tarp LOL (college budget)

Last edited by CaMBoH; 03-06-2015 at 07:26 PM.
Old 03-06-2015, 08:00 PM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Originally Posted by CaMBoH
Just bought a 96 xj im in college atm so needed a cheap rig for some mild wheeling and to haul my bike so straight to the point im replacing the blower motor and resistor as the motor barely works and only on high -.- so I searched the forums and didnt come up with anything I need to remove the washer reservoir as it sits on top of the blower motor cant figure out how to remove and cant seem to locate the resistor I was looking under the glove for it couldnt quiet find it if someone could perhaps explain or send a link on how to remove both reservoir and resistor would be much appreciated thanks everyone
How do you write papers/reports in college?
Old 03-06-2015, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: l6

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Without commas or periods.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:04 PM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by cruiser54
Originally Posted by JamDeeper
Without commas or periods.
BLAMMO!!!

Serioeslee, dood...LERN 2 PUNK-SHE-EIGHT

your professors will thank you and it will help you get a job later in life when they see how much of a command you have of the engrish language hell they may even make you ceo when they bow down to your expertise of the engrish language but you never know hey wanna go ride bikes sounds like fun we might see some squirrels who need to store up on nuts for the winter speaking of which isnt winter fun you get to go skiing and snoboarding but we might have to put the bikes away for a bit but whatever i can just take some collage courses in all the downtime

Yeah. It's like that. Sorry, but I couldn't help myself.
Also, before you get all pissy about it, it is meant as a joke.
Old 03-06-2015, 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by roninofako
BLAMMO!!!

Serioeslee, dood...LERN 2 PUNK-SHE-EIGHT

your professors will thank you and it will help you get a job later in life when they see how much of a command you have of the engrish language hell they may even make you ceo when they bow down to your expertise of the engrish language but you never know hey wanna go ride bikes sounds like fun we might see some squirrels who need to store up on nuts for the winter speaking of which isnt winter fun you get to go skiing and snoboarding but we might have to put the bikes away for a bit but whatever i can just take some collage courses in all the downtime

Yeah. It's like that. Sorry, but I couldn't help myself.
Also, before you get all pissy about it, it is meant as a joke.
Yeah!
Attached Images  
Old 03-07-2015, 02:52 PM

lmao Im a pipe fitter dont need to write any reports so my grammar isnt an issue if I was looking for help writing a paper I would be else where Im looking for mechanical advice when I need advice on writing a paper ill Pm either of you I suppose
Old 03-07-2015, 02:55 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Old 03-07-2015, 02:56 PM

also replaced the heater control valve but now for some reason at idle the engine overheats all fans are working mechanical and electrical also the rad cap overflows a small bit what could be causing this back pressure.
Old 03-07-2015, 03:57 PM

Year: 1995

Possibly air in the system? I never dealt with it personally on a cherokee but that's my guess. A quick google search should tell you how to burp the air out.
Old 03-07-2015, 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by CentralPAXJ
Possibly air in the system? I never dealt with it personally on a cherokee but that's my guess. A quick google search should tell you how to burp the air out.
thanks again man for the reply Im gonna give this a go in the morning all my local shops are closed so no where to get antifreeze ill let ya know how it goes.
Old 03-07-2015, 10:31 PM

Hmmmmm.
Attached Images  
Old 03-11-2015, 04:27 PM

got her running nice and cool now fixed all the leaks only issue is now tho when I re attached the negative term back to the battery the headlights are stuck on and I dont believe I have courtesy lights as they stay on for 5 mins until I pull the fuse. I figured it could be the day time running lights as it is added onto our Canadian vehicles I cant really find anything as to where its located I tried the green ground wire beside the fuse box thinking that was it I was wrong, anyone have any ideas where the module is found or which wire it is or even an idea to resolve this issue, thank you in advance

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New 96 XJ sport 4dr