Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Negative caster on XJ

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2017, 08:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Negative caster on XJ

Hello. I hope everyone is doing well. I have been battling Death Wobble on my '93 XJ for awhile. I have grown to be able to control it by keeping my speed down and seeing those things coming on the road which might trigger it. It's not tire related as I can even hit 75 IF the road is a nice smooth asphalt one. Takes a rougher road or sudden jolt at a higher speed to set it off....

Anyway I have done all the standard checks and replaced those items which most commonly cause it. It has gotten less and more easily controlled but still happens often enough if I get careless that it makes driving more of a tense experience than I care for. Recently a couple of guys, one a fairly good mechanic, suggested changing the caster on my XJ might eliminate it. In searching Google I have seen a number of hits related to caster angle and Death Wobble. My question is, How exactly would you change the caster angle on a '93 XJ? I thought everything was kind of set as far as that goes. I know how to adjust the toe-in/out but unlike other things I've owned there aren't struts you can move or align on my XJ. I saw something about adjustable control arms?

Just as a quick background, whoever had the XJ before me had 2" rubber pucks over the coil springs as a cheap lift kit. One of them started breaking apart and I removed them by cutting the remainder out of each side. If my memory serves me correct my Death Wobble started not long after that, Could be simply a coincidence but thought I'd mention it.

Thanks for any input.
Old 09-27-2017, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 89 Likes on 78 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

If you look at the rear portion of your lower control arms, you'll see that there is the large bolt going through the control arm and bushing, but there are also small bolts going rearward from the control arm bracket/box. These are for holding shims that can adjust the caster on a stock setup.

Have you had a computerized alignment to see if your caster is already near factory specs? Knowing what it is right now is the first step, before changing anything.

To answer your question. Yes, caster can be implicated in death wobble. Yes, it is possible that removing the existing spacers caused the caster or something else to go beyond the limits. Particularly if the previous owner added the spacers, then had the caster adjusted due to vibrations and/or death wobble. But it is hard to speculate from here if any of these things are the real culprit(s).

That is why finding out what the caster actually is right now is step one.