Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

needing alittle advice pls..

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99 xj
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default needing alittle advice pls..

i dont post that much . but recenly i bought my very first jeep xj . i had it exacly one month . it was rearended ,the guy hit us at 65-70mph . it was a 91 .. its insurance payed us for it and is now gone. i have since bought another . its a bone stock 99 sport .this will be my new project .ive been noticeing a bit of a problem with the power steering .. the power steer will just cut off at low speeds /low rpm's .ive checked the fluid it was where it should be. and replaced the belt .no belt slip or squeling . you guys think it might be going bad? or should i try something else first before just replacing? also when i changed the serp belt the pully turned pretty easy ..
OH one more quick question .. whats the opinons on the rustys 4.5in lift ? ive been looking at this lift . with this lift they off the full 4.5 leaf pack OR they also offer a 3in leaf with a 1.5 shakle .not sure what would be better ..will the 3in pack with the shakle flex better than the 4.5 spring pack?
thank all
Old 06-07-2009, 10:46 PM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

could be a bad pump but could also be a bad steering box. Have you checked the box for any leaks/play?
Old 06-07-2009, 10:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jonesy72
i dont post that much . but recenly i bought my very first jeep xj . i had it exacly one month . it was rearended ,the guy hit us at 65-70mph . it was a 91 .. its insurance payed us for it and is now gone. i have since bought another . its a bone stock 99 sport .this will be my new project .ive been noticeing a bit of a problem with the power steering .. the power steer will just cut off at low speeds /low rpm's .ive checked the fluid it was where it should be. and replaced the belt .no belt slip or squeling . you guys think it might be going bad? or should i try something else first before just replacing? also when i changed the serp belt the pully turned pretty easy ..
OH one more quick question .. whats the opinons on the rustys 4.5in lift ? ive been looking at this lift . with this lift they off the full 4.5 leaf pack OR they also offer a 3in leaf with a 1.5 shakle .not sure what would be better ..will the 3in pack with the shakle flex better than the 4.5 spring pack?
thank all
Does your steering become VERY hard to turn at times? Mine is doing this when i'm parked and turn the wheel back and forth or when i'm crawling out on the trial. I'm thinking it's the pump cuz I already replaced every steering part including the gear box so this is all that remains (except one side ball joints).

The 4.5" pack will be a tad bit stiffer than the 3" pack with shackles. The shackle package would flex better.
Old 06-07-2009, 11:03 PM

Year: 99 xj
Engine: 4.0L

ive found no leaks that i can see the steering is not lose or anything. and yes as previous post this is exacly how and when it seams to be happening.. oh and thanks for the lift answer