Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NEEDED: Overhead console install help (96 SE)

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2010, 07:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default NEEDED: Overhead console install help (96 SE)

Hey all, I just found an overhead console in an 89 XJ and I really want to install it in my 96 XJ. I've searched and searched, but I cannot find a write up, so I'm asking for your help. What do I need to grab from the donor XJ to make all functions operable (e.g., compass, lights, and temp)?

After I pull the parts, what do I need to know to install? I really need help. Especially if I need to pull wiring, because I can only get to this donor once. Pictures would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
s
Old 02-02-2010, 09:06 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0

http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1012229
here is good thread with pics of the different consoles. Pretty sure you have the wrong one in an 89. If you want to trade for a newer style pm me
Old 02-02-2010, 10:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by mnaemark
http://naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1012229
here is good thread with pics of the different consoles. Pretty sure you have the wrong one in an 89. If you want to trade for a newer style pm me
I'm definitely going to pull this one at the JY and test fit it. If it doesn't fit, I will surely come to you for a possible trade. I will be pulling all wiring, temp sensor, unit, mounting brackets, etc. If it does not work for me, I'm going to make sure it works for the next guy on this forum who wants it. A trade would be ideal!

s
Old 02-07-2010, 05:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8
Default console wiring

Hey check this out, I just found it after 3 days of searching the net. It shows how to connect a pre 97 xj console to basically anything!!! I saved it in a picture file and then i could zoom up on it, I went out and did a quick test job on my MJ and walla, the compass turned on and so did the temp. Now just need a good day to do the permant wiring in of the unit!
go to this link and scroll down and find the 91 console wiring conversion link. Its hard to read when you pull it up but like I said, I just "saved as" and brought it up that way and then i could zoom it up and actually read it. Let me know if it helps, it worked perfect for me.
http://oljeep.com/gw/elec/GW_wiring.html
Old 02-01-2022, 03:49 PM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: inline 6
Default 96 dome harness w/or w/out console wiring?

Older post but, this looks like a pretty good place for this. The dome/pillar harness was fried when I got my 96 classic XJ.
I've been looking around and all I can really match it up with (connectors/colors) is one from the same era that had an overhead console.
Mine just had the keyless entry, the dome and 2 sun visor lights. The ones I've found so far seem to have all the plugs I need and then
maybe one more main for the console; that I won't need immediately but, it might be a nice future project.

Does anyone have enough experience to say I'm headed down the wrong road here or is a good idea to go ahead
and get the one w/ the extra / future console wiring?

Many thanks,
Andy