Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need your opinion guys

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2010, 09:43 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need your opinion guys

I need to know what you guys think totaled or fix able
also beside the driver side front fender being collapsed my radiator fan comming from the motor is on the radiator leaking some kind of oil radiator is cracked transmission line broke computer bent and heres the pic
Attached Thumbnails Need your opinion guys-rip.jpg  

Last edited by XJ Stryker; 07-29-2010 at 10:04 AM.
Old 07-29-2010, 09:51 AM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

What does the Unibody look like. If you think it looks good I would have some Pro's take a look just for GP.

But from the pic you showed seems fixable with a few trips to the JY. Then a fresh coat of flat black.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:00 AM
Seasoned Member

the uni body was slightly tweaked from the accident it was in befor i got it and i had to have the frame welded cause it was flexing but i have no idea its in the hands of the insurance company of the guy that pulled out infront of me
Old 07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

Ouch. I have a little experience in this.

Really, a lot depends on how bent up it is underneath, and what kinds of tools you have access to.

I bought mine hit in the front passenger side (not quite that bad though). I fixed it for about $200: $100 for junkyarded fender, bumper, and loaded header panel from a CL partout. Another $100-ish for a radiator.

The problem was that everything underneath the bodywork was bent up. On mine, the hit was lower, and bent the hell out of the rail that the bumper bolts to, but also the area behind the header panel and a little bit of the side of the engine compartment. Luckily, a family member has access to a frame puller, and we were able to pull the header support and bumper support reasonably straight again.

If you don't have that, you can always try chaining it to a large tree or concrete post and backing up to straighten out the bent areas. It's a little hard to tell how bad yours is from the picture because it's flat black, but it really doesn't look *too* bad.

I was able to take mine from this:

to this:

In about 8 hours.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:05 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by blkcherokee
the uni body was slightly tweaked from the accident it was in befor i got it and i had to have the frame welded cause it was flexing but i have no idea its in the hands of the insurance company of the guy that pulled out infront of me

They will total it. And then if it is worth it just buy it back from them and fix it. Or go shopping for a new XJ? They will not give you what you feel like the jeep is worth. Be ready to bend over and take it up the ......

Old 07-29-2010, 10:18 AM
Seasoned Member

oh i am just waiting the guy that hit me has USAA so its really good insurance so i hoping at least 2500 or possibly more im not getting my hopes up thoe they might give a lil more cause of the modifications but not holding my breath
Old 07-29-2010, 10:20 AM
Seasoned Member

and for your red xj not bad but like you said yours isnt all that bad compared to mine and my windshield is also cracked from my head when my seat belt engaged to late
Old 07-29-2010, 10:30 AM
CF Veteran

They will not give any extra for Modifications if anything they will deduct. I have read many threads about this stuff on here LOL. Also USAA is a good insurance for him not for you. They will still be stingy with there money. But if you are not getting a fair deal then have your Insurance fight with there insurance that is what you pay them for.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:37 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1995

Good job on the fix Vindicator.
Old 07-29-2010, 10:41 AM
Seasoned Member

oh i plan on fighting reguardless the accident happen friday and ive been on the phone with both mine and his insurance companies making sure this crap is handled fast and right
Old 07-29-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995

One thing to consider is taking off some of the modifications before the insurance company has a chance to get at it. I'm not sure how legal this is but you might be able to get some stuff off of it if you dont plan on buying it back. A friend of mine totaled a beautiful 95 Mustang GT with a TON of aftermarket stuff on it and between the insurance company and selling the good parts that were left on it when he bought it back he made a killing! Either way, good luck.
Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 AM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

take off your mods to the jeep is possible. I ran into the same problem and the insurance company totaled my jeep i bought it back and fixed it up. the only down fall is it will have a salvaged title. oh well. good luck
Old 07-29-2010, 12:02 PM

Year: 98

I use to have a 98 Contour, i got side swiped in...from some guy in a company van...the paid me 1800. from the ins company got to keep the car, and it cost me 300 to fix from a jy with the same color parts...got lucky...now i have 2 xj's...don't want anything else. I work for a place that sell's aftermarket to alot of insurance companies, if you told them it was ok to use that to save the cost of oem, and save on your deductable..then it may be repairable through and the insurance company may not total it. You would still have to replace your mods...tell them to use Keystone Automotive for their parts. I put new bumpers and ends on front and rear, and they fit fine, just like oem. Just throwin that out there.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:13 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 94

Originally Posted by blkcherokee
and for your red xj not bad but like you said yours isnt all that bad compared to mine and my windshield is also cracked from my head when my seat belt engaged to late
True, yours is worse, but you'd be surprised with what you can do with a hydraulic puller and an hour.

On mine, you can see where the fender is inset about 2"... that's because everything was crunched up underneath it. Basically, all it took was a few good yanks from the correct points, and it all straightened back out again. Bolted up fender, good as new. I still think that you might be able to do it with a good tree and a good chain.

On dealing with the insurance people:
First, they don't like mods, and REALLY don't like paying for them, even on a total loss. They will very likely to tell you to eff off on that count, in my experience.

Also, they usually don't want to let you take OFF your aftermarket parts if it's totaled out. I seriously had an insurance dude tell me that I couldn't swap an expensive headunit out of a totaled car once. He said that if I wanted it, I'd have to buy the car back. I took it anyway, and threw a broken one back in its place. If there are parts that you want to get off of it, it might be to your advantage to get them off before the adjuster looks at it.

Stand your ground and fight with them. Insurance agents (especially the other guy's) are usually scum.

Originally Posted by 95Cherokee
Good job on the fix Vindicator.
Thanx man!

Last edited by Vindicator9000; 07-29-2010 at 03:19 PM.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM

Year: 1993, 1994
Engine: 4.0L HO

That looks fixable. I don't know if it is, because like others said it depends on how tweaked the unibody is. But to me it doesn't look bad. I'd buy it back and pull the body panels to get a good look underneath.

Worst case: It's screwed and can't be fixed, in that case you can just buy a new XJ chassis, move your mods over, and sell the 'extra' parts to recoop costs. The rest of the body panels look fine, and I'm sure you could part it out for more than the 'buy back' price.

Best case: New fenders and radiator support, new radiator, new bumper and windshield and off you go.

Quick Reply: Need your opinion guys