Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need some help with some belt questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2008, 05:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 i6 high output
Default need some help with some belt questions

allright my belt is squellin somwere im thinking about replacing my belt but my ac pump has been cut at the lines and im more of a roll the windows down and fell the breezz kinda guy any way so i was wondering how i would go about just totally eliminating the a/c pump alltogether & maybe grabbing a little more hp. so what kind of belt would i get? would i get some kind of underdrive pully kit? i would appreciate some advice

1994 jeep xj high output 6" lift 31" offroad mudders 4.0 5 speed manual
Old 10-30-2008, 06:18 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter L6

To be honest, I had an a/c compressor fail on me and the only thing that I could find to bypass was an a/c bypass pulley. You can find them on ebay, or do what I did and get it locally. I had them look up one for a 94 wrangler 6cyl and it does just fine... reason you can't leave it out is because of the rotation of the fan clutch. routing is near impossible to change without getting rid of the mechanical fan. If you are desperate for more hp, you may look to put in a 2nd elec fan to relieve the extra power from the fan clutch. My buddy did so on his but it only makes a little bit of difference. I swapped for an air hogs filter and flowmaster to make mine breathe easier.