Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Some help...CPS

Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need Some help...CPS

Replaced crank position sensor because jeep was cutting off when it got hot. Ever since I did that my instrument cluster shuts down intermittenly, and the computer dislay is jacked showing doors are open and other thing, and my passenger widows wont work; only every now and then.

Any suggestions?

thanks
Old 10-11-2010, 08:46 AM

that would be two different problems. The crankshaft position sensor plugs directly into the main harness if im not mistaken. I would say that something could have quite possibly shorted out in the harness while you were either removing or inserting the connector to the crankshaft sensor. the sensor itself would have nothing to do with the panel displays, as its function is strictly to read the crankshaft position to relay advance and retard of ignition timing to the computer. other than that I could only assume that maybe a component in your computer has gone. Do you have a haynes or chilton manual?
Old 10-11-2010, 09:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L
Default Instrument cluster weirdness after CPS replaced?

If none of the weirdness was evident prior to CPS replacement then retrace your steps and confirm that no other electrical connections/harnesses were disturbed or damaged during diagnosis and repair. It sounds like your PCM module is in a state of data lock-up, requiring a power reset (and a quick "demystifying"). Disconnect the battery at the negative terminal - not the positive - demate the connectors at the control module - lightly fog each of them with WD40 and walk away for a short break - carefully reconnect them then restore the battery negative. Test to see if the "condition" cleared and then please advise on observations/results.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:03 AM

Can you tell me where the control module is located. I will try this on Wednesday and post the results. Thanks

Originally Posted by Cherryokee
If none of the weirdness was evident prior to CPS replacement then retrace your steps and confirm that no other electrical connections/harnesses were disturbed or damaged during diagnosis and repair. It sounds like your PCM module is in a state of data lock-up, requiring a power reset (and a quick "demystifying"). Disconnect the battery at the negative terminal - not the positive - demate the connectors at the control module - lightly fog each of them with WD40 and walk away for a short break - carefully reconnect them then restore the battery negative. Test to see if the "condition" cleared and then please advise on observations/results.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

un plug sensor see if it stops
Old 10-13-2010, 12:14 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L
Default Whereizzit?

Originally Posted by huntintales
Can you tell me where the control module is located. I will try this on Wednesday and post the results. Thanks

Hi Huntintales,

It's mounted behind the air-box on the driver's side front corner of the engine compartment - at least that's where it is located on my '99 Chero. There should be 3 connectors there. Be firm but gentle as they require a good deal of extraction/insertion force.

Good Luck,
Cherryokee