Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need some fast opinions

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Need some fast opinions

I need some quick user feed back!! So I was at Big Lots today and they had a duplicolor roll on bed liner kit for $40!! It comes with the rollers and a gallon of bed liner!! I need to know what you guys think of the product. If it's half way decent I'll go for that because it's half the price of the Herc kit.
Old 07-28-2010, 12:47 PM
Registered Users

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Its the worst DIY product out there. Herculiner or Raptor liner work great
Dup. will peal and fad really quickly. had it in on of my cherokees before and some club members had it and hated the product.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6 w/ K&N and bored TB

I was gonna use it on my corner guards, decided to just do the backs first to see how it came out.

Basically I just decided to paint the other side, it looked awful.

Herculiner is ok, in my experience it peels easier than paint though. What are you going to be using it for?
Old 07-28-2010, 01:11 PM
Seasoned Member

I have used the duplicolor and herculiner. I don't belive in either it will flake off no matter how well you prep. It is not that expensive to have parts coated with rhino, line-x or others.
Old 07-28-2010, 01:13 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996

I did a bunch of research on this from the forum, so I'd recommend searching the forum thuroughtly before buying. Basically what I got out of it was that the longevity of the product was directly related to the prep work the guy was willing to put in to it. both last a long time if you follow every step and turn an afternoon project into a 2 day project. Ultimately, I stayed with herculiner because I had previous experience and liked how it turned out. Herculiner has a larger grit whereas duplicolor is smoother. That can be a major determinant. I can't recall what I spent on my gallon kit from herculiner, but it was a good investment regardless. Although my advice is to get what you want 3 years down the road rather than what is $20 cheaper today, both products are good if you're willing to put in the prep work.

s
Old 07-28-2010, 05:08 PM
Registered Users

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 2000 @ 1994 givin away

Whats it called Lizard Skin or something like that I here its real good,I heard it from 4x4 mag they did some tests on it.8 out of 10 stars.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Engine: 4.0L I6

Originally Posted by xjoffroad
Its the worst DIY product out there. Herculiner or Raptor liner work great
Dup. will peal and fad really quickly. had it in on of my cherokees before and some club members had it and hated the product.
Originally Posted by Iant333
I was gonna use it on my corner guards, decided to just do the backs first to see how it came out.

Basically I just decided to paint the other side, it looked awful.

Herculiner is ok, in my experience it peels easier than paint though. What are you going to be using it for?
Originally Posted by Andrew0257
I have used the duplicolor and herculiner. I don't belive in either it will flake off no matter how well you prep. It is not that expensive to have parts coated with rhino, line-x or others.
Originally Posted by smtippin
I did a bunch of research on this from the forum, so I'd recommend searching the forum thuroughtly before buying. Basically what I got out of it was that the longevity of the product was directly related to the prep work the guy was willing to put in to it. both last a long time if you follow every step and turn an afternoon project into a 2 day project. Ultimately, I stayed with herculiner because I had previous experience and liked how it turned out. Herculiner has a larger grit whereas duplicolor is smoother. That can be a major determinant. I can't recall what I spent on my gallon kit from herculiner, but it was a good investment regardless. Although my advice is to get what you want 3 years down the road rather than what is $20 cheaper today, both products are good if you're willing to put in the prep work.

s
Originally Posted by rich
Whats it called Lizard Skin or something like that I here its real good,I heard it from 4x4 mag they did some tests on it.8 out of 10 stars.
Well this is what I was looking to hear.

Looks like I'll be going with the Herculiner. Thanks guys!!

Ian: I'll be lining my rocker panels, bumpers, and flairs.