Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

strange behavior

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2010, 05:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default strange behavior

Ok. Here's the deal

I have a 1987 manual 4wd Cherokee.

The history:

Fuel pump went out and I am still dealing with that. I finally decided to call a tow truck to haul it home so I could deal with the issue here at home instead of in the parking lot at work.

And now....

The tow truck comes, hooks up the rear end and goes to pull off...jeep wont move. He decides to drop it and re hook on the front thinking maybe somehow the front breaks locked up. So he lifts the front up straps it up and again.... nothing. it wont move now the rear breaks locked up? He dropped it again and pushed it back and forth with no problem, in fact we had a hard time keeping it from rolling back.

Transfer case is in neutral, E-break is off and the trans is in neutral.

So now, I am just sitting here at home (tow truck guy gave me a lift home) they are going to go pick it up again in a while with a dolly instead.

My question.... what in the world would cause it to roll fine on the ground but then lock it up when it gets lifted up from either the front or the rear?

Thanks for any info.
Old 07-28-2010, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee

OK. Since I finally got it towed home but it is too late to really be able to check anything out right now I would like to be able to start tomorrow with a list of things to check on to try to narrow down this odd problem.

It has been suggested to me that it is stuck or getting stuck in 4wd. Even the tow truck guy who finally dropped it off said it seemed stuck in 4wd so he pushed the lever down into 2wd and towed it that way (on a roll back not tow behind)

I have heard there is a way to manually reach up and pull/push it out of 4wd if it gets stuck... how is this done?

Again I am not sure exactly what the deal is but since I can't drive it right now I would like some suggestions of things to try.

Also I am still learning how all this stuff works and have not really worked on vehicles that much.

If you have any suggestions please give a bit of detail on where test/how to check a certain idea.

Thanks alot!