Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need some advise - towing a xj I just bought ASAP

Old 11-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need some advise - towing a xj I just bought ASAP

Hello folks, Please forgive my noob'ness but I just recently purchased my first jeep and I need to go pick it up. The problem is that it isn't drive able and I need to tow it. The guy who I bought it off of didn't quite finish putting the RC lift kit on and the shocks still arn't installed. I have a dolly to use but I'm afraid to tow it with out the shocks on there.

Am I gonna have to install these rear shocks in his drive way? If so, can you guys could give me any advise or tell me what tools I'm going to need (size and quanity of socks and/or wrenches), I'd really appreciate it. I'm going to be bringing my tool box but I want to be fully prepared. Apparently the reason he didn't install them is because he had to drill new mounts? He said he drilled for them but lost his steam and never installed them if I remember correctly.

I just want to be prepared when I get to his house. Any info or help with as little flaming would be awesome. I'm stoked to join the Jeep community!

Thanks
Andrew
Old 11-28-2009, 01:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

As long as your tow vehicle outways the XJ/dolly combination, I would think you'll be alright. I'd only be concerned if both the sway bars were disconnected (on the XJ), I imagine those could make for an uneasy tow.
Old 11-28-2009, 01:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

just a note on them rear shocks, do a search on replacing them....since you said something about drilling and all, them bolts tend to break on the top mounts, and ive seen good discussions on how to fix them.....easily lol
Old 11-28-2009, 02:10 PM

Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee

I'm pretty sure that the sways have been disconnected. I don't think he's purchased the extenders. So maybe I'll take the back roads home, it's gonna take a while but I'd feel safer at 45 mph then doing 65-70 on the parkway! The truck I'm pulling with is a 2003 chevy 2500.

For the shock mounts. You mentioned about them breakng. Is this something I should look into before I install the shocks because it might bite me in the *** at any moment? Or is it an issue that happens when hardcore wheeling?

Thanks for helpig me out so far.
Andrew