Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need a little help.

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need a little help.

Picked up a 93 Cherokee country 4x4 a couple months ago. Changed cap rotor, oils, radiator, plug wires, new exhaust, tranny filter, shocks valve cover gasket, oil filter adapter o ring. Anyway before the new exhaust it was as loud you would think without a muffler. I don't know if it was missing then because it was loud but since I put the exhaust on you can hear a bit of a miss. I took the plugs outti change then and they look brand new. There was a empty plug box on the back floor board that looks new as well. Guy says he changed ten right before I bought it. I shouldn't trust anyone when it comes to that but the plus do look brand new. I cannot feel the miss when driving but sound wise it's cutting out a bit. What do you think? I really don't think it's the plugs. It has all the power it should I feel. No hesitation. I don't think my mind is playing tricks on me but it's possible. I Don't see any vacuum leaks when inspected. Then again the cruise control doesn't work either. Where do I start? Would the fuel filter cause these symptoms?
Old 01-15-2012, 04:36 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997, 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Make sure the plugs are gapped to .035 and are champion coppers. I've had misfires with other brands of plugs in the 4.0's.

If your cruise doesn't work then you probably have a vacuum leak.

If your exhaust manifold is cracked (which is likely on these engines) then you might just be hearing valve noise and think it's the sounds of a misfire.
Old 01-15-2012, 06:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you. I picked up the plugs. Will a fuel filter cause this? I let it idle and like once every 2 or 3 seconds there is a missing I can feel. When driving I can't feel it however. It does not bog or stutter just a miss I hear. In idle you can feel it while driving its more frequent but you can't feel it at all.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Fuel filter is a possibility. Besides, it is good to change em every 30,000 (I believe that's what my factory service manual calls for but I don't have it on me) miles. Really cheap and easy to do. I'd do it if I were you just as assurance and also to knock one suspect off the list if it doesn't fix it