Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need help, vehicle won't start

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2010, 12:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.
Default Need help, vehicle won't start

Need help pretty bad, my 93 Cherokee is my only mode of transportation so I need to get it fixed quick as I have many appointments.

Here is the issue, about 1 week ago I installed an AEM Brute Force Intake, Hesco 62mm throttle body spacer, Hesco 62 mm throttle body (came equipped with new tps and idle speed stepper motor or whatever the other thing on throttle body is called) and a screamin demon coil, live wires, cap, rotor, and Champion rc12lyc gapped to .065, and the vehicle ran great for about 300 miles. So tonight I was driving it and was getting on it a bit (not beating it just being a little more agressive with the gas than casual driving and taking it up to like 3800 rpm's or so) and it sputtered for a couple seconds the just died. Now the vehicle just turns over with know signs of wanted to combust. I pulled the plugs and they had some dry and wet fouling and a bit of carbon deposits, but that seemed unusual so I cleaned them up and gapped them back to stock .035. Still engine just spins and doesn;t want to combust. I can imagine maybe one or two of the plugs could be completely fouled but the vehicle would at least sputter and try to run on a few cylinders, right? One thing that confuses me is the schrader valve or check valve or whatever it is called. On all cars I have worked on before, if you turn key to run (not start) the fuel pump primes and when you push valve in fuel squirts out. My roommate has a 1989 cherokee and I relieved all the pressure in his fuel system just to test and then turned key to on and not run and went I pushed valve in fuel came flying out. On mine when I turn key to run I can hear the fuel pump come on, but no matter how many times I crank it or leave it on on position when I push check valve in know fuel comes out. I am pretty sure fuel is getting to the rail as I disconnected fuel supply line and when in on position nothing came out, but when I went to start position with key fuel came flying out of fuel supply hose. I tried swapping fuel pressure regulators but that didn't help at all. Is there a chance the new tps or idle speed stepper motor is bad and could be causing this? I also switched the screamin demon coil back to the stock coil which worked fine before and vehicle does same thing, just turns. I would hook up a fuel pressure gauge to test it but according to the book I have all the tests with a fuel pressure gauge the car has to be running, and mine doesn't even try to fire. Any thoughts. I would grealty appreciate any input so I can get this thing running again.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:03 AM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 L6

I have no idea maybe try resetting your PCM by touching together your + and - posts for 30 seconds. Maybe the PCM put it In some kind of safe mode.
Old 02-20-2010, 01:44 PM

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 Liter H.O.

Originally Posted by Chrkee313
I have no idea maybe try resetting your PCM by touching together your + and - posts for 30 seconds. Maybe the PCM put it In some kind of safe mode.
I am guessing you mean removing positive lead from battery and touch it to negative to discharge capacitors. If you just short leads together very bad things will happen. I read that if you remove positive lead and touch it to ground for 30 seconds to discharge capacitors (it really should not take even close to that long to discharge capacitors) and then hook positive back up, turn vehicle to on but do not start, turn the headlights on then off, then turn key off that will reset computer. Anyways, I tried that and it didn't work.