Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need help now !

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2011, 01:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default need help now !

so I was driving down the road hit a big pot hole and all of a sudden it feels like its misfiring theres a huge loss in power and I can feel the exhaust hitting the floor under my feet. I thought it was an exhaust leak but its pouring so cant really check but doesnt sound too much louder. also when its idling in the driveway and I open the hood it sounds like a nasty valve tick but that wouldnt make sense kind of like a knocking but coming from around the intake manifold area. this is my dd and I need to figure out whats wrong there is no cel ill try and post a vid soon oh also the oil pressure has not changed and once your around 1/2 throttle or more you dont notice it
Old 01-18-2011, 02:03 PM

I'll take a stab. Check your distributor, spark plug wires.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:07 PM
"CF Moderator"

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: l6 HO

Originally Posted by g19n87r
so I was driving down the road hit a big pot hole and all of a sudden it feels like its misfiring theres a huge loss in power and I can feel the exhaust hitting the floor under my feet. I thought it was an exhaust leak but its pouring so cant really check but doesnt sound too much louder. also when its idling in the driveway and I open the hood it sounds like a nasty valve tick but that wouldnt make sense kind of like a knocking but coming from around the intake manifold area. this is my dd and I need to figure out whats wrong there is no cel ill try and post a vid soon oh also the oil pressure has not changed and once your around 1/2 throttle or more you dont notice it
Was the hole full of water cause its possible you got the AIC /TPS wet or possibly broke a motor mount...Tj

Last edited by TrekkerJmm; 01-18-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:10 PM
Seasoned Member

no no water and my jeeps lifted so it would have had to been a decent size puddle that def would have notice but ill check the wires I guess
Old 01-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Seasoned Member

first thing I thought was injectors cause I had a similar problem once and it turned out that the plug on one came off but they all checked out and I could feel a pulse in all
Old 01-18-2011, 02:14 PM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.o

X2 on a plug wire knocked loose
Old 01-18-2011, 04:22 PM
Seasoned Member

not sure now just went and checked all the plug wires and also while it was running pulled off one by one each injector plug and they all made a difference so im lost at what to try next
Old 01-18-2011, 04:29 PM
Seasoned Member

also not sure why once over a certain rpm you could never tell there was a problem only idle and until around 2000 rpm
Old 01-19-2011, 12:45 PM
Seasoned Member

well pulled out the plugs to change them and they were all very fouled and the last one towards the firewall the electrode was pushed in and the porcelain was cracked off so now im thinking I messed up the piston the jeep will only start when the gas is almost to the floor and now im thnking the noise I hear is that piston knocking around guess il have to do a compression test and see what it shows me
Old 01-19-2011, 12:50 PM

Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L AWD

Originally Posted by g19n87r
well pulled out the plugs to change them and they were all very fouled and the last one towards the firewall the electrode was pushed in and the porcelain was cracked off so now im thinking I messed up the piston the jeep will only start when the gas is almost to the floor and now im thnking the noise I hear is that piston knocking around guess il have to do a compression test and see what it shows me
:O I hope it is ok
Old 01-19-2011, 12:53 PM
Seasoned Member

seriously all I did was hit a bump in the road this sucks and after that when I got home it would idle but just horribly now it wont at all so confused and how that could have messsed this up
Old 01-19-2011, 02:34 PM

Year: 96
Engine: 4 liter

Please please please check you motor mounts.
ESPECIALLY check the motot mount to block brackets. Make sure all 3 bolts holding them on are tight and not sheared off.
Check the brackets themselves too.
I hit a big one, busted the pas side mount bracket (attached to block not frame) and the resulting brake made my exhaust hit the floor and loss of power.
Also, when I gave it gas, the engine torqued to the bad side,the fan would stick on the shroud cooking the thermal clutch and overheating the engine. Thank god for a switch wired in to the E fan. Kept it just under red till I got home.

Oh, it cracked my exhaust header too (no flex pipe in these things wtf!)

As for your loss of power and ticking, when my engine "fell" to one side the bottom of the distributor housing (metal not cap) smashed in to the frame and damaged the actual distributor's functionality enough to practically destroy my idle.

I mean literally the only thing holding the engine on the right side was the dizzy laying on the frame about 1/2 ". A slight nudge would've done far worse if it fell all the way.

PLEASE THOUROUGHLY CHECK YOUR MOUNTS AND BRACKETS then check them twice more.
The only way I figured out they wer broke was by placing wood under the pan and jacking up the engine slightly, as if I were changing mounts.
I got under a looked up with a light and could see sunlight between the bracket and block.

Costed 320 to get the bolts out of the block, hours of rewiring once the engine was back in and a general PITA all cuz I didn't check thouroughly one of the most failure prone items on any offroad vehicle. One of the bolts is still stuck in the block so , only having 2 points holding that side I had to get upgraded block brackets (6-8 points each) to the song of 240 bucks (see sig) vs stock at 25.

My motto whem I replace something that broke? "Never Again!"

Again, that pothole may have been enough to shear bolts and you won't see unless you thouroughly inspect. Then look again with good light.

PS Torque down ALL 6 bolts (3 on each side) while you're there. You don't want to go through what I went through.

I was on the barlow trail so who knows how many times it rammed in to the frame while I was trying to get on road.

Last edited by Solomon7; 01-19-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:11 PM
Seasoned Member

well I just made a vid and put it on youtube it idles now if you let it warm up for a few seconds sorry about the audio quality but here it is sounds just like a van I used to drive with a dead cylinder what could the possibilities say the piston was broken could it really have drove home fifteen miles and still run in my driveway and btw you cant hear the tick at idle
Old 01-19-2011, 08:33 PM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

I would think that if it was a piston then it would be much, much worse. Sounds to me like something is rubbing. Coach
Old 01-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Seasoned Member

like what thought?tomorrow ill strip it down and check it out