Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need help jumping my compressor low pressure switch and testing for voltage...

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2015, 04:33 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Need help jumping my compressor low pressure switch and testing for voltage...

Need help jumping my compressor low pressure switch and testing for voltage...

'96 XJ here. My ac's blowing warm air and a chirping sound seems to be coming from the rear of the compressor. Center of clutch doesn't turn when the a/c is turned on. Removed the belt and clutch center turns no problem. Before I start replacing parts I want to rule out possible electrical issues first.

Been told I need to do 2 things.

1- test for voltage at the low pressure switch
2- jump the low pressure switch and see if the compressor runs

I have a multi meter but not much experience with it so a little help getting through this would be a whole lot appreciated.

I think to test the low press switch I need to set my multi on 20 DCV (expecting to see 12v), set the black probe on the body somewhere for the ground, and put the red probe (somewhere?) with the a/c turned on and see what it reads. Where to put the red (+) probe is what I need help with. If anyone has an electrical harness diagram or actual picture either would probably do the trick. Also, I have a '96 FSM and I'm sure the answers in there somewhere I'm just not sure where.

And for the second task...jumping the low pressure switch. I'm sure jumping just means attaching a solid wire between two points and with the a/c turned on see if the compressor starts going. Now where these two points are I don't know. Could I just run a wire from the poss terminal on the battery to wherever it needs to go to power the compressor? If so I suppose all I need help is where to put the 12v power wire into at the compressor. Again an electrical harness diagram or pic seems like what I'm looking for.

Thanks
Old 06-23-2015, 04:53 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Stick probes in plug you pull off the pressure switch.