Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need help, Jeep won't start

Old 05-21-2013, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Exclamation Need help, Jeep won't start

Hey all,
Just got a 95 XJ a few weeks ago and she's been a fixer upper, but now she won't start.
Few things...the battery, alternator, coil springs, fuel pump and filter have all been checked and were tested good. Today I replaced the spark plug wires. It turns over but will NOT start. It's my only vehicle and I need it back up and running. So please HELP!
I'm new at this whole Jeep thing and not sure what to do.
95 XJ
105,000 miles
4.0L
Old 05-21-2013, 09:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Divide and conquer. What's missing, spark or fuel? Does the fuel pump spin up when you turn the key to ON?

Pull a sparkplug, put the wire back on, lay it on something metal to ground the shell. Crank the motor and look for spark.
Got any? Strong, blue color?

I assume it didn't start before you replaced the wires?

Last edited by Radi; 05-21-2013 at 09:40 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1994 1993
Engine: 4.0

As mentioned first determine what's missing. Get a can of starting fluid and blast into the intake and see if that gets it to fire up. If it does you arent getting any fuel. If not then check for spark as mentioned. Last time my XJ wouldnt start as you describe my ignition relay was blown
Old 05-22-2013, 08:38 AM

Year: 1998
Default i too am having trouble getting my jeep to start.

I having the same problem. i'm not much of a mechanic, so i've done some research on the internet and talked to some friends.
The jeep ran fine one day then the next it wouldn't start, so i've been trying to figure out what is wrong. i replaced the battery, the starter and the ignition switch and still it just clicks once and that's it. no turn over or hint of the engine trying to start. yesterday i noticed that the negative port on the battery would spark when i crank it all the way, then its done, i have to remove then put the negative back on the battery and do it all over again. does this sound like anything anyone has had happen before? and if so what do i do?????
Old 05-22-2013, 08:44 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport

Originally Posted by chris racket
I having the same problem. i'm not much of a mechanic, so i've done some research on the internet and talked to some friends.
The jeep ran fine one day then the next it wouldn't start, so i've been trying to figure out what is wrong. i replaced the battery, the starter and the ignition switch and still it just clicks once and that's it. no turn over or hint of the engine trying to start. yesterday i noticed that the negative port on the battery would spark when i crank it all the way, then its done, i have to remove then put the negative back on the battery and do it all over again. does this sound like anything anyone has had happen before? and if so what do i do?????
Let me see. You have your cable sparking and it move it and it fine? Think About It!!! That is more the likely your problem! It's a no brainer
Old 05-22-2013, 09:20 AM

Year: 1998

i'm not sure what you mean. the car wouldn't start before i got the new battery. it only started sparking with the new one. and even after all the replacements its still doing the same thing as before. is there something i'm missing?
Old 05-22-2013, 09:29 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Checking codes on ops xj would narrow done possibilitys key on key off method.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:16 AM

Year: 1991

Getting back to the original post... you said you changed the spark plug wires...make sure you got them on in the proper order. Firing order is 153624. Make sure they are on tight...you will hear a little click when they snap into place on the plugs and distributor cap.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:38 PM

Exclamation Tried to fix

Hey, so yes we did make sure all the wires were tight but it was a universal pack of spark plug wires.
Also the battery died when we replaced the plug wires (it hadn't been dead before hand, in fact it had tested good a week ago) and we jumped it and it seemed fine. I tried starting the car again just now and the battery was dead again. Any connections you think? I'm not good with cars so I have no idea what it would be :/
Old 05-22-2013, 04:47 PM

Year: 1991

There may be multiple issues here but first of all make sure the battery is healthy. If the battery is weak or the connections are bad (loose, corroded) then you will have all kinds of strange seemingly unreated problems. Have the battery load tested, have the charging system (alternator) tested...this can be done at an auto parts store with everything still on the vehicle...usually for free.

As previously mentioned, make sure you installed the plug wires in the correct sequence...they must match the firing order.
Old 05-22-2013, 04:58 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrossfitKatie
Hey, so yes we did make sure all the wires were tight but it was a universal pack of spark plug wires.
Also the battery died when we replaced the plug wires (it hadn't been dead before hand, in fact it had tested good a week ago) and we jumped it and it seemed fine. I tried starting the car again just now and the battery was dead again. Any connections you think? I'm not good with cars so I have no idea what it would be :/
Sounds like something on draining battery get it charged the see whats on .
Old 05-22-2013, 05:21 PM

Exclamation Will check and keep updated

I will get those checked tomorrow and will keep this posted in caseI need more help. Can't take them to an auto store though since it doesn't run. Can I take them out and still get them tested?
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by CrossfitKatie
I will get those checked tomorrow and will keep this posted in caseI need more help. Can't take them to an auto store though since it doesn't run. Can I take them out and still get them tested?
Yes
Old 05-22-2013, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Year: 90,84
Engine: 4.0,2.5

I might hold off worrying about testing the alternator. How dead IS your battery?. With good, clean terminal connections, do you have dash lights? Any headlights? If it's stone dead you might want to ether find a charger or take it somewhere to be charged & tested. It it's just pretty low you can jump it.

No, the spark plug wires won't/can't drain it. Like Freedgr said, It sounds like something was on, a door open? Ign or headlights? Btw the book and diagrams are wrong. #1 is at the 5:00 position as viewed from the side. 153624, clockwise. I'd expect it to pop or backfire if that is wrong.

Once you have power you can try the "Key Trick" (OBD means on-board diagnostics)
OBD1 Models: 1991-1995
1) Start engine (if possible). Move transmission shift lever
through all positions, ending in Park. Turn A/C switch on and then off
(if equipped).
2) Turn engine off. Without starting engine again, turn
ignition on, off, on, off and on within 5 seconds. Record 2-digit
fault codes as displayed by flashing MIL.
3) For example, fault code 23 is displayed as flash, flash,
4-second pause, flash, flash, flash. After a slightly longer pause,
other codes stored are displayed in numerical order. When MIL begins
to flash fault codes, it cannot be stopped. Start over if count is
lost. Code 55 indicates end of fault code display.

Then post codes if you get any.

X2 on the above. Don't get carried away with starting fluid, one or two 3 second blasts in the intake...maybe by removing the top of the air cleaner.

Check spark, also you should hear the fuel pump for about 2 seconds then you turn the key on. (assuming you have power)

Also on the fuel rail there is a valve, like on a tire. You can depress that right after is was cranked and see if it spurts fuel into the rag you are holding there.

So, there's that!
Old 05-22-2013, 08:21 PM

Just going to state what I've had issues with. The no start could be the cps connection, whenever my xj cranks but won't start I wiggle the connection under the hood and she fires up. Have you checked the glove box light? If it's not adjusted properly it will drain the battery. As for the negative post sparking thats simply a bad connection that needs cleaning and tightening.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Need help, Jeep won't start