Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Help with Identification

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 09:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L straight Six
Default Need Help with Identification

I found these wheels and 31" tires on the side of the road for a steal! However, they did NOT have center caps. the guy did not know what brand they were to order them either.... does anyone recognize this wheel or know the brand at least so i can order the center caps?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Power Tech
Default Wheels

They look like Dodge Dakota wheels, but this is only a guess.
Old 08-09-2010, 10:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 94
Engine: 4.0L

Check the backside of the wheel for a manufacturer name.
Old 08-10-2010, 08:58 PM

thats what I am saying, there is no markings on these wheels indicating a brand....,. to me they look like an older style American Racing wheel.....

If I removed one of the tires, would there be an indent sticker or something on the inside of the rim? I mean I am not going to spend 35 bucks if it turns out there is no reason to look there...

i was more hoping someone else was running these ont heir Jeep and would therefore know what brand they are.
Old 08-10-2010, 09:44 PM
G_P

Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0 H.O

There could be info stamped on the inside of the rim.

It should cost WAY less than 35 to have a single tire dismounted.
Old 08-10-2010, 10:11 PM

dismount it urself..let all the air out pull the valve core out and put a 2x12 on an incline up the tire and drive up on the tire..with a little muscle it should come off
Old 08-11-2010, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by G_P
There could be info stamped on the inside of the rim.

It should cost WAY less than 35 to have a single tire dismounted.

that number is removal, THEN remounting and re-balancing... I plan to use these rims and tires as they are next week when the lift goes in....
Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by mattmudby
dismount it urself..let all the air out pull the valve core out and put a 2x12 on an incline up the tire and drive up on the tire..with a little muscle it should come off

i know I could do it this way, however, i do not want to in anyways ruin them since I plan to actually use them.... and then I would still have to have them mouted and balanced anyways once I did that... But I appreciate the thought process....

I have been scouring the net looking for these wheels for sale somewhere, but without a starting point on brand or what not... it is becoming very frustrating.... I may just have to run them AS IS without the center caps and just replace them with the set I actually want and a set of 32's down the road. I was going to go that route now, but the wheels I want are on back-order for every distributor until end of October at the earliest.... and I needed a matching set now since my Jeep only has THREE wheels on it.... Sorry, I am **** about appearence, at least when it comes to symetry.....

I will see how these look once they go on, and I will post plenty of pics here, before and after, for the lift and tires as well if y'all wanna see them.... Who knows, maybe they will not look so bad since at least all four caps are gone, so it will be symetrical....LOL

Old 08-12-2010, 01:55 AM

Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0l

try going to the tire shop and geting some center caps that fit. if your only conserned about looks yor should be able to find some a/m caps out there.
Old 08-12-2010, 05:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Goto TIRERACK.com and look up bolt spacing. They have an excellent diagram and instructions on how to figure it out. Take two straight edge rulers and go find out the bolt spacing. If it is 5x4.5", buy them...they'll fit.

But Dakota and Dodge Ram wheels look like this and they DONT fit XJs. Bolt spacing is the key.
Old 08-12-2010, 07:21 PM

They came off a cherokee classic, and are going on a cherokee classic, so i think the bolt spacing is fine....lol

As for the center caps, it would be different if we were just talking to cover the hubs, I can get generic alld ay long... but these are specific ones and without knowing what BRAND these wheels are, I cannot locate the PROPER fitting center caps.... If you look, when the right ones are on, they cover the lugs as well as the hub..... Thats what I am trying to figure out.
Old 08-19-2010, 08:06 PM

Okay, after a few weeks of searching and some help from to many sources to mention, I found them. they are VIA wheels, model number FA-007. They are produced by a Japanese wheel company that specializes in Formula I cars, as well as mercedes and BMW. If I bought these new right now, they retail for $845 for a set of four.

Appearently the guy who bought these originally was a lot like me. Wanted something different then everyone else. These were special ordered in the Jeep bolt pattern, cause they are not stocked in a 5 on 4.5.

I have several emails out to several distributors and hopfully someone can lead me in the direction of finding center caps for them!

I thank everyone here for your help, and hope others are as relieved as I am, this was buggin the crap out of me...LOL