Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need help with gas leak at tank.

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2013, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Sport
Default Need help with gas leak at tank.

I started my XJ several days ago and saw a steady stream of gas leaking out of the tank on the driveway. I shut it down and looked under. The leak was coming from the area where the fuel lines enter the tank but I could not see the leak. Once I started it back up, no more leak. I have driven it for a few days and have noticed worse than usual gas usage. So I pulled the tank today and inspected the tank o-ring and fuel lines. I still can't see the problem. Has anyone experienced this?
Old 07-08-2013, 10:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've had problems with mine, mostly leaking from the o ring at the sending unit. Even the new o ring I put in leaked. After all new rubber lines (the line to the filter, the return, fill hose, and all vents), and another new o ring from Napa, all seems to be well. That o ring was my single biggest issue though, especially with my tank in the Jeep, I could see it leaking in my rearview mirror.
Old 07-09-2013, 04:33 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I have a problem that sounds similar to yours but may not be the same problem. I have an aftermarket fuel pump (and now it looks like it may be an airtex) and it is very poorly made and designed. It appears to be leaking from the pressure regulator, and in the case of this cheap fuel pump, is held in by a simple O-ring with no clamp. I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to fix my problem but to get another quality fuel pump.

It was fine for the first few hundred miles, but I didn't drive the jeep very often.

I've been looking at getting a bosch, and found many people online offering it for less than $200, but everyone is out of stock. Looks like Bosch is ramping up production to offset the demand for what ever changes Chrysler is going to make for the Grand Cherokee recall...maybe. My local Napa has one, for $340.
Old 07-09-2013, 08:01 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by Cherockee
I have a problem that sounds similar to yours but may not be the same problem. I have an aftermarket fuel pump (and now it looks like it may be an airtex) and it is very poorly made and designed. It appears to be leaking from the pressure regulator, and in the case of this cheap fuel pump, is held in by a simple O-ring with no clamp. I've come to the conclusion that there is no way to fix my problem but to get another quality fuel pump.

It was fine for the first few hundred miles, but I didn't drive the jeep very often.

I've been looking at getting a bosch, and found many people online offering it for less than $200, but everyone is out of stock. Looks like Bosch is ramping up production to offset the demand for what ever changes Chrysler is going to make for the Grand Cherokee recall...maybe. My local Napa has one, for $340.
Carter fuel pump modules are an acceptable substitute for the Bosch module if you can't afford the Bosch, or can't find one. I advise staying away from getting a pump off of Evilbay. You don't really know what you are getting from some of those carpet baggers.

Chrysler actually had a TSB on Airtex fuel pumps.
Old 07-09-2013, 09:05 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

deleted duplcate post