Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Jeep overheating at idle past red.

Search this Thread

Old 05-13-2010, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Jeep overheating at idle past red.

Hello, new to these forums, long time jeep owner.

I have a 1992 1/2 jeep cherokee sport 4wd. I have owned the vehicle since 1996 and before that my parents owned it from new so I know its whole history. I just edged it over 300,000 kms so it is well used. as far as the engine and tranny goes the vehicle still runs great but for serious overheating issues.

Through most of it's life in very hot weather the jeep has tended to get very hot when at idle, on days of 25 degrees C (~75 F) or higher the vehicle gets very hot when going at low speeds or sitting at red lights. Lately the problem is getting much worse. I went to put the coolant into the thing and saw that it was close to the proper level but I took a look at the radiator and it is not in the greatest of shape, alot of the copper will pretty much fall apart at the not so hard touch of a finger. So I am thinking it might be time to spend the cash and get a new system put into it.

What I am wondering is if the overheating of the jeeps at idle is a common thing? I read back on many threads on overheating and most people don't seem to have the problem at idle and instead when the jeep is actually working. The jeep stays cool on the highway, as long as air is flowing past the thing seems to remain relatively cool, about 100 degrees C, so I have to wonder if the fan was doing it's thing when the jeep was not in motion.

I am hoping if I blow the money on this fix that I can get rid of the overheating problem for good, not simply reduce it back to previous times when it was not quite as bad as it is now. The thermometer was replaced in the vehicle twice with no effect on stopping the overheating at idle.

Can the experts let me know what kind of radiaotor system should I get to help fix this issue? Would it be good to replace all the hoses? Should I try replacing the thermometer yet again, or the water pump? Plus last but not least about what should I expect to pay for the work in Edmonton Canada, I have not the tools, time, or knowledge to do the job myself.

Thanks for any advice/info you can offer.
Old 05-13-2010, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 2.5 4 cyl.

look in the radiator and see what color the coolant is, and if it looks milky.
Old 07-08-2013, 01:36 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4L

Originally Posted by xj_maniac_newb
look in the radiator and see what color the coolant is, and if it looks milky.
I'm having a similar problem, especially on warmer days or in traffic it will overheat when idling. I checked the auxiliary fan relay, and I think its working fine (I unplugged the temp. sensor on the t-stat housing and the fan came on...this means the relay works, correct?), and I kind of put a stick into the main fan and it didnt slow or stop, so i think the clutch is working ok. I regret that I have not flushed my coolant in the several years i've owned it, and it does look a bit murky, at least in the reservoir. Flushing the coolant is coming next, but...how bad is murky coolant?

2000 XJ, 218K miles
Old 07-08-2013, 02:55 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by stinsonbr
I'm having a similar problem, especially on warmer days or in traffic it will overheat when idling. I checked the auxiliary fan relay, and I think its working fine (I unplugged the temp. sensor on the t-stat housing and the fan came on...this means the relay works, correct?), and I kind of put a stick into the main fan and it didnt slow or stop, so i think the clutch is working ok. I regret that I have not flushed my coolant in the several years i've owned it, and it does look a bit murky, at least in the reservoir. Flushing the coolant is coming next, but...how bad is murky coolant?

2000 XJ, 218K miles
Murky coolant will not cool as well as nice clean green coolant will, that's for sure. As to what else may lie in the dark depths of your radiator, it's hard to say...
Old 07-08-2013, 05:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1993
Engine: 4.0L

Yes -- e-fan relay is okay. What is the temp when it overheating at idle? And the e-fan is coming on when it overheats?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:17 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Clutch fan hard to spin when engine at operating temp ?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by Pelican
Yes -- e-fan relay is okay. What is the temp when or overheating at idle? And the e-fan is coming on when it overheats?
When idling it will slowly go to 230(ish), then after a minute if I haven't gotten going faster it might skyrocket to red. I'm not sure if the fan kicks in or not, I haven't seen it yet and I go back and forth between thinking I hear it or not. I need to look into it closer
Old 07-08-2013, 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Clutch fan hard to spin when engine at operating temp ?
I spun it today when I heated the engine up, and it had a little resistance as in it would stop fairy quickly after I gave it a good spin. But it was not hard to spin it.
Old 07-08-2013, 05:44 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L H/O

I spun it today when I heated the engine up, and it had a little resistance as in it would stop fairy quickly after I gave it a good spin. But it was not hard to spin it.
The fan clutch is worn then
Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Do you have your fan shroud for the mechanical fan in place?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by highmileage
Do you have your fan shroud for the mechanical fan in place?
Nope lol. Its been gone for a while. Does that make a difference?
Old 07-08-2013, 05:55 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1990

Nope lol. Its been gone for a while. Does that make a difference?
YES... Fan shroud is @ 50$ at the dealer. If you notch the bottom about a half inch it will clear the fan and radiator w/o issue. Just did my fan clutch 38$ at pep boys.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:04 PM
CF Veteran

Spin more than 1 turn replace it along with fan shroud and open hood and make sure aux fans coming on and staying on.
Old 07-08-2013, 06:06 PM
CF Veteran

Fan shroud....http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/...FSgV7AodywcAcg
Old 07-09-2013, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by freegdr
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Jeep overheating at idle past red.