Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need help figuring out why my gauges don't work

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2014, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default need help figuring out why my gauges don't work

1995 XJ
Auto
148,000 miles

My Father passed away two years ago and I kept his jeep. I decided to get it up and running again. I changed the battery, alternator, serpentine belt, oil change, oil pressure sending unit (broke off when removing the oil filter), repaired the headliner, replaced the wipers and gave her a good wash.

My issue is the instrument panel. it illuminates when the lights are on but nothing works (speedometer, odometer, tachometer, oil pressure, engine temp and gas gauge). Also affected is the radio and cigarette lighter. The warning light for low washer fluid is illuminated even though its filled to the top.

I checked the fuses under the dash (drivers side) number 17 (7.5) was burnt out, replaced it. I checked the fuses in the Power distribution center in the engine compartment and I disconnected the pcm sensor and turned the key to position one to see if the gauges would come to life.....nothing.

I removed the cluster at the wire/tape/circuit board appears ok. There are little rust spots on the transistors but nothing major.

need help figuring out why my gauges don't work-forumrunner_20140318_211102.jpg

Right now I'm using an app on my phone to tell me how fast I'm going and the distance traveled...already ran out of gas the other night.

Thank you in advance for your help

Steve
Old 03-19-2014, 01:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Check the ground wires near the dipstick. That's where the dash/gauges are grounded. There's one ground wire there that's often as not pulled tight and snaps.
Sorry about the loss of your dad.
Old 03-19-2014, 02:15 AM

Year: '93
Engine: 2.5L I4 (Mercedes Turbo Diesel planned)

Hope you find out it's something rather simple to fix. Mine wasn't....A wire in the bundle on the blue connector was broken back inside the harness a ways. It was causing an intermittent operation of the cluster. Quite a PITA to fix, but I'm not that skilled in electrical, anyway....

And I'm also sorry about your father. I lost mine back in October and my '93 was his. I kept it and will eventually pass it on to my own kids. Good luck, bro!
Old 03-19-2014, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by Radi
Check the ground wires near the dipstick. That's where the dash/gauges are grounded. There's one ground wire there that's often as not pulled tight and snaps.
Sorry about the loss of your dad.
Thanks Radi, I'll check on that as soon as i can.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by TwoXJS
Hope you find out it's something rather simple to fix. Mine wasn't....A wire in the bundle on the blue connector was broken back inside the harness a ways. It was causing an intermittent operation of the cluster. Quite a PITA to fix, but I'm not that skilled in electrical, anyway....

And I'm also sorry about your father. I lost mine back in October and my '93 was his. I kept it and will eventually pass it on to my own kids. Good luck, bro!
I hope it's not a difficult issue either Twoxjs...I was doing a little research in the fsm and I might have found a resolution. The instrument cluster, radio and cigar lighter all draw power from fuse number six in the pdc. I checked the fuses the other day and it wasn't burnt out. I will replace it anyway before attempting to search for the ground like Radi suggested.
Old 03-19-2014, 05:21 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 I-6

Start by refreshing all of your grounds, our XJ's act weird if one or more of them don't make good contact. Next, as you're going down the road, try slapping the dash. If this happens to make a difference, you need to thoroughly clean the contacts where the wires hook to the circuit board. I had this problem where my gauges would just stop working intermittently. The dash slap made them work for a bit until I cleaned the connection good, then not a problem since.
Old 03-19-2014, 06:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 23 Likes on 23 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by cix8
1995 XJ
Auto
148,000 miles

My Father passed away two years ago and I kept his jeep. I decided to get it up and running again. I changed the battery, alternator, serpentine belt, oil change, oil pressure sending unit (broke off when removing the oil filter), repaired the headliner, replaced the wipers and gave her a good wash.

My issue is the instrument panel. it illuminates when the lights are on but nothing works (speedometer, odometer, tachometer, oil pressure, engine temp and gas gauge). Also affected is the radio and cigarette lighter. The warning light for low washer fluid is illuminated even though its filled to the top.

I checked the fuses under the dash (drivers side) number 17 (7.5) was burnt out, replaced it. I checked the fuses in the Power distribution center in the engine compartment and I disconnected the pcm sensor and turned the key to position one to see if the gauges would come to life.....nothing.

I removed the cluster at the wire/tape/circuit board appears ok. There are little rust spots on the transistors but nothing major.

Attachment 235609

Right now I'm using an app on my phone to tell me how fast I'm going and the distance traveled...already ran out of gas the other night.

Thank you in advance for your help

Steve
Power in and oit of fuses when keys in run position been confirmed ?