Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

NEED HELP ASAP!

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2010, 04:38 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: big 6
Exclamation NEED HELP ASAP!

Recently I cut out the lower portion of my rear fenders. I pulled the inside portion of metal up to fill in the hole. This left a small gap that I hadn't got around to closing up. Well we just had a slushy snow storm and I had to use the jeep to get out. Well I'm home now and I shut off my lights and the engine and started into the house when I realized my tail lights are on? Idk what's caused it, my guess is some water may have gotten on the wiring back there. what do I do? Is there a fuse I can pull so they will go off and save my battery till I can get everything dry? Or is there a main plug in the wiring I can disconnect? Please help! My lights are still on!! Both tails and the third brake
Old 12-04-2010, 04:46 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 88, 89, 93 & 99
Engine: 4.0

I'd just disconnect the battery.... It's good to be totally safe if you think you may have moisture causing shorts. Let it dry out good and hook back up. I'd check and clean connections after it dried out and make sure all of them are done with Dielectric grease to prevent corrosion from the moisture that was there as well. See where your at then...
Old 12-04-2010, 04:54 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Engine: big 6

I didn't wanna unhook the batt cause then I'd have to reset my whole sound setup in the cd player and I really didn't want to. I know sounds lame but I gotta have my clarity. Anyways irealized it was def the brake lights so then I checked the pedal switch under the pedal. I wiggled and pressed it a few times and it didn't change so I unplugged it and the lights went off. I'm drying up the rear, its not what caused the problem but no wet wire is a happy wire so better safe than sorry. I'm guessing I just have a faulty switch. Thanks for the quick input though