Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Help! 99 jeep

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2011, 06:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6
Default Need Help! 99 jeep

I know I have posted the problem when it was originally happening, but this post includes the new information and new things that happened since.

I have a 99 XJ with sort of a strange problem. Some months back, I noticed that while going down the road I would get a small jolt. Almost like the car was hitting a small pothole that wasn't there. Just a split second thing though. So I really never thought anything about it. About 2 months ago I was driving to work one day and it did the same thing, only this time bigger. It jolted or bucked and then it did it again but the second time the tach dropped instantly to 0. I was giving it gas, but it was not responding. The motor never died, nor did a light come on. It only slowed down and to idle and i pulled over. I sat for about 30 seconds and it went right back to normal and I was able to drive off. I went through a whole thing taking it to a mechanic and he kept it a few days and checked the codes and couldn't find anything wrong. After I got it back a week or so later, it did it again, only this time throwing a light, but the light went back off when the jeep went back to normal?? I changed the spark plugs, plug wires, cap and button and it stopped doing it for almost a month and a half to two months and today it did it again. This time the tach dropped to zero, vehicle began to slow down, the speedometer danced back and forth between a 10 mph range and the check engine light came on again and went off when it went back to normal.

Any Ideas?
Old 12-28-2011, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

I had a similar issue with that, just a quick buck and hiccup every couple weeks. Went away and I never figured it out since it happened so quick I couldn't catch if my rpm dropped or not. Would a cps on its way out maybe cause that symptom?
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L Straight 6

I have thought of that, but I haven't had any other symptoms of it being that like intermittent cranking or anything. Someone mentioned the cam sensor though? i just thought it was really odd that it didn't do it for like the past 2 months anymore and I drive it on a daily basis. But then again, when it was doing it, it may have done it maybe 3 times a week or so? When it first started, I was thinking I it was the fuel pump, but the car never dies and it runs good til it doesn't. I am almost certain it is something electrical. Just hope it isn't the computer or something or tranny control module or something.