Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2008, 02:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default need help!!!!

hello everyone im new to this site, i have a 1989 cherokee i6 and it never really given me problems until recently now heres the problem when i start the jeep early in the morning and start driving it it starts to stumble and hesitate after a few minutes of driving it goes away but if i get on the freeway itll start doing the same thing but only between 50 and 65 mph. Im stomped on this problem and any advise would be appreciated.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

Is the CEL coming up? Any codes?
Old 07-05-2008, 02:43 AM

is it possible to retrieve codes on a 89?
Old 07-05-2008, 06:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90
Engine: 4.0

There is no CEL or codes on Renix(87-90) engines...

The Renix motor is a miracle of dumb. Start with the simplest things first... Check all the vaccuum lines for cracks or if they are missing. Check to see if all the electrical connections to see if they are loose or off.

Now is there any reason that water or moisture got into any connections? If there is take them apart and spray them down with something to remove the moisture. CRC makes a VERY good spray for this, WD-40 will work in a pinch.

After that.. the two most likely culprits are the IAC or the TPS. Both of these sensors are located on the throttle body. The IAC is on the back of the throttle body and round. When you pull it out it has a small pintle on the end that is supposed to go in and out when it operates. If it is covered in carbon and soot, take some carb cleaner and clean it really well...

The TPS test procedure requires a multi-meter. Preferably a analog one, but a digital will work in a pinch. There is a really excellent web page containing very detailed descriptions and write-ups on the care and feeding of Renix sensors. Its been posted here a couple of times in other threads. I don't have the page handly to give it to you now.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:35 AM
Renix Super Guru

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 1990XJ/1989MJ
Model: Comanche
Engine: 4.0L Renix

This is the site that whowey is refering to. You will have to scroll down to the tps. You should bookmark this page as it will come in handy is you own a Renix Jeep.
Kyle Renix Jeeps have no CEL so that would be good for 91 on Jeeps.
Whowey I always use a digital multimeter because they are easier to read and give more precise readings.
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...iagnostics.htm
Old 07-05-2008, 10:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 90

Originally Posted by BlueXJ
This is the site that whowey is refering to. You will have to scroll down to the tps. You should bookmark this page as it will come in handy is you own a Renix Jeep.
Kyle Renix Jeeps have no CEL so that would be good for 91 on Jeeps.
Whowey I always use a digital multimeter because they are easier to read and give more precise readings.
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...iagnostics.htm

Thanks...My computer is still conked out.

I use both types of multi-meter. There is one particular test that the analog meter makes easier as you need a sweep reading for it. Which one it is...I dont't remember right now. I haven't had any problems I couldn't trace down to other causes in a LONG time.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:09 AM

so it should definitely be one of these sensors? and all this started when my uncle who is a mechanic replaced the crank sensor im sure that has something with it. thank you guys for your replies
Old 07-05-2008, 11:17 AM
Renix Super Guru

Make sure that CPS is securely plugged in. It should not be your problem as the car will not run if it is unplugged but the recent activity to that plug could be a problem in the future.
Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

My bad, it was late and I forgot to check the year
Old 07-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Gone but not forgotten

This may sound crazy but I had the same issue after replacing the CPS. the wires run up hook into a clip on the firewall , well being the "mechanic" I am I just ran them and started it up, not putting the wires back into the clip.... Problem there is they run close to exhaust manifold , the insulation melted then they started hitting the manifold and grounding out causing the same issue you have. I would check the wires from the CPS up to the connection. As for the speed variation I just attributed it to wind under the hood? But after taping the wires and putting them back into the clip all was well and still is. If that is not the issue check your O2 sensor had a Ford that acted like that when the o2 went out. Good luck !!
Old 07-05-2008, 02:06 PM
Renix Super Guru

xj4life I assumed that he would not leave the wires laying on the exhaust manifold like you evedentally did. His uncle is a "mechanic" so he would know better than to put the wires in a harmful situation for their well being. He would know that those wires mean run or no run for the Jeep.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: Gone but not forgotten

We all make mistakes (as I did) and when you look at it it appears as if they would not hit the manifold even when not clipped in.I ment no offence to you or him just trying to help with some first hand experiance.
Old 07-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Renix Super Guru

Originally Posted by xj4life2
We all make mistakes (as I did) and when you look at it it appears as if they would not hit the manifold even when not clipped in.I ment no offence to you or him just trying to help with some first hand experiance.
No, I thought it was a good point that I failed to mention. We all learn from our errors. As that was a learning experience for you, I have made too many to count and want others to benefit from my errors. Thanks xj4.
Old 07-05-2008, 10:25 PM

ill try to change the tps sensor tomorrow hopefully that solves the problem if not i guess ill have no option but to take it to a shop. thank you guys for your help
Old 07-05-2008, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Year: 87
Model: Wagoneer
Engine: 4.0 I6

Damn i must have missed this thread. I am another RENIX owner. You got yourself a keeper. TPS is where i would start, did this problem start before or after your uncle got a hold of it lol.