Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2013, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default need help!!!!

ok i have been having a bad shudder on take off under hard throttle only really does it from a stop dont do it if already rolling unless you are rolling slow and turn and gun it. could this be a bad limited slip rear diff? how can i tell if i have one? i was told by a shop that it was caused by weak rear leaf springs but i have never heard of that before. anyway any help would be great. thanks,
btw, it is a 87 cherokee 4x4 4.0 auto trans.
Old 08-17-2013, 07:47 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Could be as simple as your exhaust pipe hitting the transmission crossmember. If it was in a limited slip rearend, it would NOT do it in a straight line.

Time to poke your noggin undeer the Jeep and have a gander.

Have you ever checked your trans, transfer case and differential fluid levels?
Old 08-17-2013, 09:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by tazf250
i was told by a shop that it was caused by weak rear leaf springs but i have never heard of that before. anyway any help would be great. thanks,
btw, it is a 87 cherokee 4x4 4.0 auto trans.
Weak springs can allow the axle to wrap excessively under acceleration. If your rear u-joints have some miles on them they might shudder when their operational angle changes with the wrap. Have someone watch the rear diff and u-joint from the side while you take off from a stop.
Limited slip's normally make some noise when they want attention, particularly while cornering.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for the info. i have already replaced the trans mount and checked for anyother loose parts under it. i have a new set of springs but when i tried to remove the old ones not even my 1/2" SNAPON gun wouldn't budge the front spring bolts. how do i get to the backside of the bolts to apply penetrating fluid?
Old 08-18-2013, 07:21 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by tazf250
thanks for the info. i have already replaced the trans mount and checked for anyother loose parts under it. i have a new set of springs but when i tried to remove the old ones not even my 1/2" SNAPON gun wouldn't budge the front spring bolts. how do i get to the backside of the bolts to apply penetrating fluid?
Have you examined the clearance under the pipe where it goes over the crossmember?