Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

need advise on lift kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2009, 06:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Question need advise on lift kits

98 sport 4wd 4.0...looking for a economical lift _suspension_
everyday driver......beach used....no mud...no rocks....want to go with 31's anybody suggest a kit ?
Old 08-14-2009, 06:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by rpmjeep
98 sport 4wd 4.0...looking for a economical lift _suspension_
everyday driver......beach used....no mud...no rocks....want to go with 31's anybody suggest a kit ?
Take a look at Zone offroad. They sell a nice 3" kit with coils, add-a-leaf, and shocks. I installed one last Feburary for a family member. Nice stuff. Usually add-a-leafs ride ruff but theirs is fairly flexy and not too harsh.
Old 08-15-2009, 07:00 PM

Talking THNK 4 REPLY

I KNOW i am a NEWBIE......2 this........5th cherokee owned !.....20 yrs. as ASE cert mechx......................use 2 b a YOTA guy ! love those straight axle TRUX ! ride WHO CARES vehicle reliability and integrity of suspension functions concern,,,,,, will chek tis out THHNX
Old 08-15-2009, 08:06 PM

Year: 98
Engine: 4.0L

Their are several options rubicion express make's some nice lift kits roughcountry.com has budget lift kits.
Old 08-16-2009, 09:41 PM

Default lift advise thanx

1 other question....is a trans drop kit really ! ness.....and extend controlarms....what ur opinion ? once again thanx
Old 08-16-2009, 09:49 PM

Year: 1996

on a 3in lift i would not think you would need longer control arms seeing how its just a mall crawler. TC drop kit will be a ness if you have anynew vibration you didnt have befor, i would say rustysoffroad.com might help you out a bit if you didnt already look into it cheap good stuff. i have a 6.5 rustys off road and love it. and you might wanna invest in a longer trac bar. i would say all in all it will be like 350 to 400 befor tires. and should clear 31s no prob.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:17 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1985
Engine: puny lil 4 cyld... 2,5 litres, I-4, carburettor

hey rpm i dont mean to hijack your thread in anyway, but since were talkin about this i gotta ask a question too.
im new to working on autos at all let alone jeeps. but lookin thru lift kits at jc whitney. i keep coming across "Kit is intended for vehicles with the DANA 35 rear axle." does this mean i need to replace my axle first? or should i just keep looking for a kit that doesnt say that? as far as i know i have a stock axle. i was just under it looking and only found a serial number, nothing else.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:25 PM
Registered Users

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by spikeypuck
hey rpm i dont mean to hijack your thread in anyway, but since were talkin about this i gotta ask a question too.
im new to working on autos at all let alone jeeps. but lookin thru lift kits at jc whitney. i keep coming across "Kit is intended for vehicles with the DANA 35 rear axle." does this mean i need to replace my axle first? or should i just keep looking for a kit that doesnt say that? as far as i know i have a stock axle. i was just under it looking and only found a serial number, nothing else.
DANA 35 equals dana turdy five...i dont know why it says that i dont know of the leaf perches being different. DO you have the 8.25 or 44? They are the better ones, the 35 is the bottom line one. Your best bet is to go directly through ROUGH COUNTRY, they are great people, and they are cheaper then Whitney, for what you get IMO
is your pumpkin flat on top and bottom...pics?
Old 08-16-2009, 10:32 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L w/ AFE stage 2, bored TB

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/all-lift-tire-questions-go-here-10579/

Look through this and the lift/tire set-up thread in cherokee chat.

3" and 31s look good and its cheap. Id go with 3" coils, LCAs, and some Quadratec HD leafs and a small shackle out back for a good ride and height.

And please use some better punctuation. We aint textin...lol
Old 08-16-2009, 10:33 PM

Year: 1999

Originally Posted by Spooledwhat
on a 3in lift i would not think you would need longer control arms seeing how its just a mall crawler. TC drop kit will be a ness if you have anynew vibration you didnt have befor, i would say rustysoffroad.com might help you out a bit if you didnt already look into it cheap good stuff. i have a 6.5 rustys off road and love it. and you might wanna invest in a longer trac bar. i would say all in all it will be like 350 to 400 befor tires. and should clear 31s no prob.
I only have a 3.5" lift and mine is definitely NOT a mall crawler. Depending on who's kit you buy, will determine what side effects come with it. Some kits are a bit taller than stated, some are a bit shorter. The Newer XJ's (97-01 and possibly a couple years prior) are alot more prone to driveline vibes, and may require a t-case drop for some 3" kits, and definitely anything over.
Old 08-17-2009, 06:35 PM

Smile Thanks thanks

sorry for the text type......i dont even text......but anyway...thank everyone for the info.....and by the way chrysler axles are 3 inch u bolts and dana's are 2 3/4....measure from the center of your u's to find out...... see i could have typed " measure frm the ctr of ur u's 2 find out " I think i have made a choice on my MALL CRAWLER' kit.....and i hope it works well....if not...the the "lincoln MIG" and band saw will go to work !......hope every one has a great day and """"lozza MUDD " or beach sand........Oregon Inlet , Outer banks ,NC thats what i LIKE
Old 08-17-2009, 07:08 PM

Year: 98

RPM..........Hey I live in Newport News..and make my way tto OBX occasionally.....shipyard keeps me workin 6 days plus alot.
I JUST put a RC 3" series 2 lift on my 98 sport......nice lift....looks like there is plenty of room for 31's.....I'm on 30x9.50 currently....rides good...no vibes...and all my parts were engineered to work together....
Kit came with front coilsprings...full rear leaf-packs ( highy recommended) lower control arms, sway bar relocation brackets...and shocks all around...
My 98 feels like it's been born again!!!!
Hope this helps....
Scott
Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1998, 1999

Hatteras! Great place! Used to like windsurfing at Canadian Hole and the light house. Crusin' down the beach was great also. Do they still let you do that? Haven't been there in 8 years. Used to go every spring and fall.
I just put a 3.5" Rubicon Express. Was quite reasonable from Endless MtnFab who posts on this site. Check him out! See my profile for pictures of it. No, I do not get a comission out of this... He was just the best price I found for a real lift...

Mike
Old 08-17-2009, 08:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 97
Engine: 4.7

Mike,

Thank you again for the props.

Guys ... we have sponsors here for a reason. We're here to help you (and make some sales, obviously). We're supporting the site as well. It would be great if some folks would realize that and at least give the sponsors a shot.

Doesn't have to be me (I can be quite disagreeable as some can attest). But at least give us supporting vendors a shot.

Joe
Old 08-18-2009, 10:55 AM

Year: 1996

hruley i wasnt saying all 3in lifted jeeps are mall crawlers. he said he is not doing anything aggresive with his. so i just assumed he wants it to look tough and not careing about the performence. but yeah rustys off road and RC carry the same items its just finding the cheapest stuff between the two of them. RC is usaully the cheapest all around, but i get discount at rustys so idk.

Quick Reply: need advise on lift kits