Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need advice on suspension travel limiting straps

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2009, 04:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996 XJ Sport 2007 KJ Rubicon
Engine: 242 4.0 Ho, 226 3.7 V6
Default Need advice on suspension travel limiting straps

Ok, This should be a simple question (I hope). While doing my exhaust I jacked the up front and rear at the bumpers until the tires left the ground. Now I've been toying with how much to lift it, and the distance full droop is quite appealing. Not too much, but not too little either. Now I'm assuming the amount of droop is determined by your shocks and sway bar. I know using your shock to limit travel is bad. To achieve the desired amount of lift can I do a bp that will net slightly less than the amount of droop, the same for the front but using V8 ZJ springs and a spacer if need be, then use limiting straps that will become taught about a 1/4 to 1/2 inch before the shocks max out? My mom commanders my jeep occasionally to haul stuff to the dump because she is afraid to get her liberty "dirty". And since the paper work disappeared to legally transfer ownership to me (lack of bill of sale) I need to keep the stock shocks for a smooth ride to avoid the you know what factor. I'm not new to jeeps, but I am new to suspension modification and I figured I'd ask before I screw up and make an idiot out of myself.
Old 07-26-2009, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 289 Likes on 239 Posts
Year: 1987 MJ, 1998 XJ, 1973 J2000, 89 waggy
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 4.0L H.O

sounds like you have a good idea for what your doing, if i were to use limiting strap (which i prolly will) i'd set them up so that they are just shy of my shocks maxed out