Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Need Advice. Car Overheated/Radiator Bad

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Need Advice. Car Overheated/Radiator Bad

Hello everyone.

First of all, I hope I've posted this in the correct section. Forgive me If I haven't. I'm ok with it being moved to its correct forum section if need be.

Anyways, I own a 91 Jeep Cherokee. This car has been great to me since I purchased it used from a buddy just over a year ago. It's fulfilled its job quite well, while sparing me any headache. However, just yesterday my car overheated on me. When I got home I inspected its radiator and found that this part was to blame. It showed signs of leakage and a majority of the fins were severely bent. I know that replacement is my only option at this point, but before I do so, I'd like some advice. I've decided to purchase an aftermarket version online, but don't know which companies are reputable. I've found two that I particularly like but before I buy from one of them, I'd like some sort of verification that they are a legitimate business. I almost never buy anything online so I don't know how to spot a scam, and I can't afford to be scammed.

Has anyone dealt with either of the following companies and can verify that they are a legitimate company? Thanks in advance.

http://www.radiatorspot.com/jeep/che...s.html#MTg1OTE
or
http://www.carparts.com/details/Jeep...csf26701097377
Old 03-31-2011, 02:59 PM

Year: 98

I bought one from radiatorbarn.com, 2 row I think, works fine in Texas summer heat. Mine's a 98 so not sure if it would be the same for you.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

Carparts is reputable, bought from them several times. Never heard of Radiator Spot. I got my last 3 radiators, not for the same vehicle from Radiator Barn.

Get 2 or 3 row all metal for best performace and duability.
Old 03-31-2011, 04:34 PM

Radiators, especially the plastic top ones, are manufactured at only a few factories and they just slap a different sticker on it before they ship it out to you.

Your best bet would be to look at the warrantee offer. the cheap plastic tank radiators last about 3 years with regular usage before they start popping off tabs and leaking out the top. I bought mine from 1-800-radiator for a little over $100 and got a life-time warrantee. So that when it goes out i just have to remove it and take it to their outlet in the area and get it replaced that day.

I wouldn't mess with the metal radiators, it cost more to repair them then to just buy a new cheap radiator. And frankly the radiator is one of the easiest and quickest repairs to do with only a few common tools. I like to save $ where I can as long as it makes sense