Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Necessary to replace the entire steering column?

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2012, 12:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Necessary to replace the entire steering column?

So my jeep was stolen (as previously reported) end of Nov, but ultimately recovered a couple weeks ago. Looks like thief used screw driver or other blunt object to bust open pass door lock and then busted out the ignition cylinder. The ignition cylinder now comes out freely and the steering wheel will no longer lock even with cylinder in. Looks like what would have retained the cylinder was destroyed to get it out. I haven't been able to find any good diagrams online or in the FSM, but it appears that the damage (see below) would require replacement of the entire steering column...can anyone confirm? I'm also not able to find any steering columns online other than used...are these hard to source?

Thanks...this has been an absolute nightmare so far. Cops have been less than helpful, and thanks to use of a private towing company to recover (by police), I'm out towing/storage fee ($170). Insurance estimate was only $2xx something but they only accounted for replacement of the door and ignition lock cylinders and labor, not the steering column or whatever retains the ignition cylinder. I need to take in to dealer for another estimate...trying to figure out what is most cost effective in the long run as I've got a $500 deductible and weighing effects to insurance premium etc. Lock parts are cheap, but looks like even a used column is ~$200+.
Attached Thumbnails Necessary to replace the entire steering column?-photo.jpg  
Old 12-27-2012, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
Year: My Jeep is a GMC

Check carpart.com your not going to fix that.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:42 PM

Thanks, that's what I figured. Was just checking ebay too...
Old 12-27-2012, 01:15 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

you have to replace the column... you can't fix that yourself... check the local junkyards... check the part out threads here... Where are you located?
Old 12-27-2012, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by thehuff
So my jeep was stolen (as previously reported) end of Nov, but ultimately recovered a couple weeks ago. Looks like thief used screw driver or other blunt object to bust open pass door lock and then busted out the ignition cylinder. The ignition cylinder now comes out freely and the steering wheel will no longer lock even with cylinder in. Looks like what would have retained the cylinder was destroyed to get it out. I haven't been able to find any good diagrams online or in the FSM, but it appears that the damage (see below) would require replacement of the entire steering column...can anyone confirm? I'm also not able to find any steering columns online other than used...are these hard to source?

Thanks...this has been an absolute nightmare so far. Cops have been less than helpful, and thanks to use of a private towing company to recover (by police), I'm out towing/storage fee ($170). Insurance estimate was only $2xx something but they only accounted for replacement of the door and ignition lock cylinders and labor, not the steering column or whatever retains the ignition cylinder. I need to take in to dealer for another estimate...trying to figure out what is most cost effective in the long run as I've got a $500 deductible and weighing effects to insurance premium etc. Lock parts are cheap, but looks like even a used column is ~$200+.
First of all, sorry someone ****ed up your XJ.

I had the same thing happen to me. Older column, same problem.

You can buy them online, but it will be twice the cost.

I got a column from pic-a-part here in vegas for less than 100$

The procedure is kind of a pain in the ***, but If you ever want to drive it "normally" again, you gotta do it.

Get a chiltons manual if its your first time screwing with a column.

Last edited by sandfish88; 12-27-2012 at 01:35 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by The Rooster
you have to replace the column... you can't fix that yourself... check the local junkyards... check the part out threads here... Where are you located?
MA - yeah been poking around. Just haven't had much time to look into until now.
Old 12-27-2012, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by sandfish88
First of all, sorry someone ****ed up your XJ.

I had the same thing happen to me. Older column, same problem.

I got a column from pic-a-part here in vegas for less than 100$

The procedure is kind of a pain in the ***, but If you ever want to drive it "normally" again, here is a write up on it.

If its a tilt column you have, you gotta get another tilt column
Thanks! I'm actually more upset with all the other crap that has gone along with it, e.g. trying to get police to do something, talking with insurance, collecting all kinds of information etc. I guess it's a learning experience, one more part to fix etc. Trying to stay positive!
Old 12-27-2012, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by thehuff
Thanks! I'm actually more upset with all the other crap that has gone along with it, e.g. trying to get police to do something, talking with insurance, collecting all kinds of information etc. I guess it's a learning experience, one more part to fix etc. Trying to stay positive!
Excellent. Keep it posi.

Make sure you dont break the ignition switch, and pay attention while installing it on the new column. ( mounted on the column near the firewall)

I broke mine lol.
Then couldnt get its replacement properly set to feed power to starter when I turned the key to start.

Took a week to figure that out.

then another week to realize I didnt ground the new setup.

Man when it fired up again, I was beside myself.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:24 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990 Laredo
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6 Renix

stay postive... thats the important thing...