Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Near Seizure

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2011, 08:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Near Seizure

I live in Oman, and just bought a 2000 Cherokee Sports. It has the 4-speed automatic transmission.

The problem I have, when I back off the revs, or when I stop accelerating and start cruising - just at the moment when momentum and the back wheels start turning the tailshaft rather than the motor and gearbox, or at that point of equilibrium - sometimes it feels like something momentarily seizes in the drive line. It feels like someone stuck a screwdriver in the gearbox for a split second, or like a big hand just grabbed the tailshaft for a moment, the whole car shudders. That is the only symptom, there are no other noises etc., otherwise everything goes fine.

At first I thought the gearbox was having trouble shifting, maybe someone had put the wrong fluid in there. That would not be surprising here. So I changed the transmission fluid and filter. But still I very occasionally have the problem. It happens, by the way, I think in both third gear and overdrive. Although it is difficult to say, the gear shifts are otherwise very smoothe, whether or not the car is shifting into overdrive when I start idling along at 60km/h is ctually difficult to say.

Anyone have any ideas? It can't be good. Any help would be appreciated. Otherwise, by reading the factory manual and the excellent commentary here on this forum I have been able to fix everything else, the car is charging. While I always owned Valiants when I was younger in Australia, I never had a Jeep, there was a lot to learn.

Oh, except the 4WD light is always on on the dashboard. I would like to solve that too.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Perhaps I did not describe the problem very well. At any rate, for anyone else that might come this way, the problem turned out to be a dodgy TV cable.
Old 01-26-2011, 11:40 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

dodgy lol
Old 01-26-2011, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr