Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Mystery Plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2017, 09:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Mystery Plug

I was installing heated mirrors this morning and found this plug. Its not plugged into anything and I have no idea what it is for. If anyone could help that would be great. It comes out of the door about the same spot the plug for the electric windows and what not.

Thanks
Chuck

Old 02-12-2017, 10:08 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0 Liter

Chuck,
I'm pretty sure that plug is for the optional tweeter speaker for the Infinity sound system, that would be in the corner of the door, where the plastic triangle trim piece is. For some odd reason they wired all the doors with that harness, even if they didn't come with the sound system, probably cost-saving. Anyways, there should be a little hole to push the clip that is on the plug back into.
Old 02-12-2017, 10:29 PM

Engine: 4.0L

That would make sense. Thank you
Old 02-13-2017, 01:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 L6

Originally Posted by JeepCherokeeJoe
Chuck,
I'm pretty sure that plug is for the optional tweeter speaker for the Infinity sound system, that would be in the corner of the door, where the plastic triangle trim piece is. For some odd reason they wired all the doors with that harness, even if they didn't come with the sound system, probably cost-saving. Anyways, there should be a little hole to push the clip that is on the plug back into.
Yep, cost savings. Same reason swapping in heated mirrors is so easy, the harness is already wired.
Old 02-13-2017, 01:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1,530 Likes on 1,173 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Ditto. Everybody says that they will work even if you do not have the Infinity Sound System Option. Not knowledgeable when it comes to sound systems but supposedly the capacitor looking thing is a built in crossover that makes them work more like they should. Picked these up awhile back to install for $40 shipped to me off Craigslist.
Attached Thumbnails Mystery Plug-img_0411.jpg   Mystery Plug-img_0412.jpg