Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Check engine light and EVAP code

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2009, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Check engine light and EVAP code

The check engine light is on in my 98 Cherokee.
I used a scanner and it says I have an EVAP leak somewhere.
There is also a hard start issue. I have to crank the engine over for aprox two seconds before it starts.
However, if I go to the store or something and come back 5 minutes later, it will start up right away.

Where is the EVAP? Or where is a good place to start looking for the solution to this problem? Any ideas?
Old 04-20-2009, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

Yours is a '98 and this is referring to an '01, but it'll give you an idea what/where the EVAP is. Click on this and go down to post #5 and look at the diagram. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/showth...hlight=DIAGRAM
Old 04-20-2009, 05:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

it means you have a leak in the evap system. most common problem is people not tightening the gas cap all the way or bad gas cap or a broken line. it really doesn't affect the performance of the the engine starting. Maybe your losing fuel pressure when you park it for a long period and that might be where the long cranking comes from when it's cold
Old 04-20-2009, 06:45 PM

Thanks for the ideas.
Perhaps it is a bad gas cap. I’ll clear the code after swapping another cap on.

Ol”blue Thank you for the diagram. Is the Evap Canister located next to the gas tank, or in a rear quarter? Or elsewhere?
Is there any way to test to see what part of this system may be bad?

itzdan420, you’re saying the long cranking is not related to the Evap issue?

I think you are right, there is a loss of fuel pressure. I thought perhaps the Evap system had something to do with pressurization in the lines, no?
Old 04-20-2009, 06:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 2004
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.7L V8

The EVAP canister is in the engine compartment. It's a black plastic container about the size of a quart size can.
Old 04-20-2009, 07:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Year: 88
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by bubela
Thanks for the ideas.
Perhaps it is a bad gas cap. I’ll clear the code after swapping another cap on.

Ol”blue Thank you for the diagram. Is the Evap Canister located next to the gas tank, or in a rear quarter? Or elsewhere?
Is there any way to test to see what part of this system may be bad?

itzdan420, you’re saying the long cranking is not related to the Evap issue?

I think you are right, there is a loss of fuel pressure. I thought perhaps the Evap system had something to do with pressurization in the lines, no?
I wouldn't condemn the gas cap until I know for sure the best way I know to test it is thru a person or shop that does emission testing. if you know somebody that will check it that would be great!
Old 04-20-2009, 08:39 PM

I work at a junk yard and have access to other caps, so I'll try that and clear the code. See what happens. I know it's not the best way, but it's simple enough for me.
Old 10-01-2010, 11:42 AM

Year: 99' XJ
Engine: I-6

I have the same evap problem with my 02 grand cherokee. I plan on using that diagram that O'le blue pointed out. i will let you know what I find. I also heard that it could be a blown #5 fuse. Either way, I will post what I find. Thanks to all for the help and info.
Old 10-01-2010, 08:19 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 5.2

I hate evap codes, very hard to find a small evap leak with out a smoke machine
Old 10-01-2010, 08:39 PM

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

I had the same thing with my 01 XJ check all the rubber couplers on the fuel lines. thats what i did and it fixed the issue
Old 06-08-2013, 09:20 AM

Default Evap Canister

So, I had the smoke test run and they told me it was a front evap canister and it was about $250 in parts in labor to replace.
Does this sound right?
Is there a cheaper, easier way to do this?
Thanks for any assistance.
Old 06-08-2013, 10:17 AM
CF Veteran

Received 82 Likes on 67 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

The charcoal "Evap" canister is located under the vehicle forward of the rear axle.

Check to see if the Duty Cycle Evap Solenoid is clicking after the engine warms up. The solenoid is located against the firewall next to the AC accumulator. It will have a Green cap on a test port in the vacuum tube going to it. Failure of this solenoid valve is common.

Check the steel tube coming off the top of the fuel tank for corrosion. This is the fuel tank rollover valve vent line to the evap canister. It is common for this tube to deteriorate to the point where there is a pin hole in it. If it is bad, replace it with a length of fuel rated hose and a coupler to connect to the rubber elbow that connects to the evap canister.

Check the evap vacuum tubes that run the length of the left frame rail, from the engine bay to the evap canister for chafing/holes. Check the rubber couplings at the evap canister for deterioration.

The Leak Detection Pump was introduced in the '98 model year for California emissions standards. Look at your emission decal on your firewall and see if it shows one. And, if you have one it will be by the PDC. If not, there will be a large plastic tube that runs from the evap canister to behind the tranny filler tube and will have a large vent cap on the end of it. It's useless.
Old 01-31-2017, 08:04 PM

Default I havr 2002 with an evap code

Originally Posted by gonhtn1
I have the same evap problem with my 02 grand cherokee. I plan on using that diagram that O'le blue pointed out. i will let you know what I find. I also heard that it could be a blown #5 fuse. Either way, I will post what I find. Thanks to all for the help and info.
Just wondering what you found on your evap code. I'm having problems on finding where my leak is. Can you help me out?
Old 02-13-2017, 04:52 AM

Also curious about the result of this. My 97 ZJ has P0455 and P0442. Replaced one hose by charcoal canister but suspect more leakage.