Stock XJ Cherokee Tech. All XJ Non-modified/stock questions go here XJ (84-01)
All OEM related XJ specific tech. Examples, no start, general maintenance or anything that's stock.

Mysterious Brake Issue

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2013, 11:07 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Mysterious Brake Issue

Hey all,

I've been dealing with a mysterious braking issue for the past couple of weeks now. Basically, my brake pedal doesn't have any resistance for the first little bit, then I can start to feel the brakes grab a tad, and then suddenly they'll grab a ton, instead of the smooth braking motion that should occur.

I took the issue to my 4x4 guy, and we diagnosed the issue as a bad brake master cylinder. We replaced the brake master cylinder, bled the brakes, and the issue seemed to have been resolved...smooth braking was restored and I was on my way.

Last week, the problem started again. It's not as severe as it was, but it's definitely there.

I have ABS. My front brakes are Black Magic pads with Centric Premium rotors; the pads have plenty of life left. My rears are still drums, but they have life left too.

Any ideas?
Old 11-18-2013, 01:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1998 Sport
Engine: 4.0

There can be many reasons that could cause your problem. I would start by readjusting the rear brakes. If they are to loose it will cause the same symptoms that you are having. If you are still having the same problem after adjusting the rear brakes we can go from there. Try that first and let use know if it works for you or not.
Old 11-18-2013, 02:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

Unplug the abs and drive it. The abs could be malfunctioning. Also check the booster out.
Old 11-18-2013, 09:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by RTorrez1
There can be many reasons that could cause your problem. I would start by readjusting the rear brakes. If they are to loose it will cause the same symptoms that you are having. If you are still having the same problem after adjusting the rear brakes we can go from there. Try that first and let use know if it works for you or not.
Originally Posted by XJ-92
Unplug the abs and drive it. The abs could be malfunctioning. Also check the booster out.
Thanks for the help guys. I pulled the ABS fuses and relay from the PDC before I drove home from work today. It felt like it was getting a little better, but still not quite there. I'm going to drive it for a day or two like this and see how it feels. If it's still off, I'll bleed the brakes. If that doesn't work, I'll check everything out when it's on a lift in a few weeks. I might post later for some more opinions...we'll see. Thanks again!